1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How on earth can SEAL be used in a PSHCE scheme of work?

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by arth, Feb 16, 2006.

1. My school has been using SEAL for a term now and they are pretty indifferent to it. Ive got to get it into a scheme of work and do healthly schools and train staff on Monday about it! Eeek. Ive prepared an overview but its dry and boring. Any ideas would be great!

2. My school has been using SEAL for a term now and they are pretty indifferent to it. Ive got to get it into a scheme of work and do healthly schools and train staff on Monday about it! Eeek. Ive prepared an overview but its dry and boring. Any ideas would be great!

3. jellytot24

jellytot24 New commenter

I'm in pretty much the same position.
    Our HT has decided to replace our current PSHE SoW with the SEAL SoW so muggins has been spending half-term putting it together (until today when I decided, sod it, it's my half-term too!).
    The annoying thing is, I'm only caretaker PSHE co-ordinator as the real one is on maternity leave.........

I'll keep you posted.............let me know if you have any ideas?!!!

4. What's SEAL?

5. What is...
    ...the SEAL resource?
    A whole-curriculum framework and resource for teaching social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) for primary schools. It is being piloted in 25 LEAs and the feedback from schools has been positive. It will be available to all schools online from April 2005, and sets can be ordered from the second half of the summer term 2005.

What are the social and emotional aspects of learning?
    The underpinning qualities and skills that help promote positive behaviour and effective learning. There are five social and emotional aspects of learning: self-awareness, managing feelings, motivation, empathy and social skills.

Why is it important to develop these aspects of learning in the primary curriculum?
    They promote positive behaviour, enable children to be effective learners, get on with others, set themselves goals and work towards them.

What are the principles of effective SEAL programmes?
    They have a whole-school approach. They offer a clear progression so that skills are developed systematically. They are flexible, building on the school's existing work on the social and emotional aspects of learning, and fitting in with the school's unique character.

What is in the resource pack?
    Assembly materials on a clear SEAL theme; a curriculum that revisits each theme offering new ideas each year; flexible lesson ideas at each developmental level; links and ideas for the theme across the curriculum.

FOR MORE INFO
    dfes@prolog.uk.com

I COPIED AND PASTED FROM http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachers/issue37/primary/news/Whatis/

6. Thanks Jellytot for replying. All Ive done so far is split the themes up into terms as it suggests but added important bits it doesnt cover e.g. drugs, sex, health etc

7. jellytot24

jellytot24 New commenter

Arth, I have had the boxes sitting next to the sofa since school broke up last Friday and I am still procrastinating about getting it all started!

I've gone through each theme, there are 7 I think, and it's all broken down into terms anyway so that's a handy start. Gone through the first 2 themes and highlighted the key skills for each year group then I'm going to basically draft an initial mid-term for the Autumn term 2006 (we're not starting it until Sept).

If you want to swap any ideas or draft plans etc then my email is dappyhel@yahoo.co.uk - I'm feeling less panicky knowing that you're trying to get your head round all this too!!!!

8. Good luck to you both i tried to do this and gave up as couldnt see how to make it work with scheme we already had that seemed to be working ok. No doubt will have to go back to task at some point. Let us know how you get on

9. jellytot24

jellytot24 New commenter

Will do Karene, I spent most of yesterday sorting stuff out and then most of this morning, here I go again!!!!!!

Will keep you posted....

10. I'm working with several schools using SEAL. Some have decided to do the themes in a two yearly cycle as several themes have similarities and it's hard to cover everyhting. So the whole school does a SEAL theme for about half a term/ six weeks and spends the other half of term doing the PSHE topics that SEAL doesn't cover ie: healthy lifestyles, SRE, drugs, finacial capability. You can also slot in police visits, nurse visits etc. If you plan out a yearly grid it's a good at a glance way of seeing where the topics pan out across the school. Follwo the QCA units of work for SRE, drugs etc and SEAl and you cover everything set out in the national curriculm guidance. Any help?

11. I've recently presented the SEAL materials to our staff. We're going to trial the 'changes' theme in the summer term with a view to launching the whole thing in September. Not sure how the staff feel about this as they have been getting along quite happily with their current scheme. I agree preston that there is an issue about fitting it in along with the areas it doesn't cover, I also like the idea of having half a term for fitting the other stuff in and including visiting speakers. However, as it is meant to be a spiral curriculum that builds on the theme from the previous year, I don't understand how you can do that on a two year programme. I am a bit concerned though about how we will fit it in. Each theme is meant to take about four hours of class time, and as some of our staff only spend half an hour a week on PSHE it would not fit into most half terms, and this is before we try to shoe-horn the other elements in that seal doesn't cover. The only way forward I can see is to incorporate it as much as possible into other areas of the curriculum, which I think it lends itself to well. Just got to convince the rest of the staff about that. Not sure about some of those weird photos though.

12. ...hence the two year cycle thing as it's hard to fit it all in and do it properly. It still maintains its spiral effect. The trick is to make sure that SEAL is 'generalised' across every aspect of school life: you can slowly bring SEAL into all achievement assemblies and the behaviour policy. Bring in TAs and MDSAs. Encourage your local authority to support with training for support staff. Get the staff to tackle some of the staff training activities, if you're brave. Our teachers love the new beginnings, good to be me and bullying modules the best. We've been involved since pilot and schools are reporting big changes in behaviour now that they've been at SEAL for a couple of years. Keep going!

13. Thanks preston. Yes, I feel we are right at the beginning of the journey but glad to hear you are doing well with it. How long have you been running the whole thing?

14. I work for the local authority and we've been working on SEAL ever since the pilot so I kinda know it inside out. I support schools who are running it: Some since pilot days (just over two years) , some for a year and some brand new. We have fairly detailed network meetings where peopl share good practice etc. We also monitor schools.

15. How do the schools you see incorporate it? I'm curious about how much of it is taught in PSHE lessons and how much is dispersed throughout the rest of the curriculum . Have most people been able to deliver the lessons pretty much as they are or do they adapt them? How did parents respond to the at-home activities? I'm rather full of questions at the moment, I'm newly appointed as coordinator, have had no training and only work two days a week, so feel I am at the beginning of a steep learning curve! Thanks for any advice.

16. Thank you Preston for all the advice. Im like Frazzle- still a bit confused but getting there. Now I need to concentrate on Healthy Schools!

17. Can you help me?!
    Ive got an interview next week with free range of what i teach. I only have 20minutes and as i dont know the group/ability, i thought about teaching PSHE/something to do with SEAL as it can be differentiated easily (is this a good idea?). Any ideas about how i can make this really exciting but also educational with a clear outcome/topic areas? Ive got some ideas, but Im an NQT and haven't really come accross this area before. its a year 3/4 class...

Thanks in advance!
    Elli

18. I am also in the early stages of trying to implement SEAL into a PSHE scheme of work whilst working towards us achieving 'Healthy Schools'. In addition to this I have been asked to come up with some sort of assessment statements linked to the SEAL materials. I am in KS1 and cannot find any level descriptor statements for PSHE and many of the SEAL units appear to cover a range of objectives. Can anyone help?

19. Hi Pussycatdoll

I have been working on this for the past 7 months - Our schools PSHE is now based on the SEAL resources box. To make sure that we were covering everything I checked all learning objectives against pshe and citizenship stuff on www.nc.uk - then against healthy schools guidelines and the very small amount of criteria that wasn't covered, I made sure were being done cross-curricular. Then put in stuff like road safety healthy eating etc (touched on drugs etc a bit because we are only a lower school)

Has this been of any help? I can email stuff if you want assessments have been done using questionaires, multiple choice, quizes, year books on certain topics, roleplay photographs etc

20. Oops sorry pussycatdoll

Forgot you can run a load of info from QCA site too

(guidance on assessment,recording and reporting)

Hope Ive been some help and good luck

Crazylady