1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How old is too old

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by justamum, Dec 18, 2016.

1. justamum

justamum New commenter

I have seen an advert for DH - I tick all of the boxes and have all of the relevant experience. However, I am 50. Would that immediately mean that I would be rejected in shortlisting?

2. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

It shouldn't.

Discrimination on grounds of age is no more lawful nowadays than discrimination on grounds of race, gender, disability or sexual orientation.

There is (or rather, there should be) no such thing as "too old".

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It is highly unlikely that the application form asks for a date of birth, so at the time of shortlisting the panel wouldn't know your age.

I'm studying for a Masters in Educational Leadership. When I went to the residential, most other people were at my stage of career, looking for a first DH post, and about the same age as me, between 40 and 50. However most people were also teaching in the independent sector, where age and experience are (mostly) still seen as a good thing.

Go for it, you never know.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I guess it depends on whether they like you. I think other factors- those indefinable certain somethings that makes you the right fit for a post - will be more important. Job hunting is a lottery.

5. install

install Star commenter

The application form will most likely ask for a date of birth but that should not hinder you from applying. There are most likely alot of cliques to battle with too so still apply.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

The school should not discriminate you for age. The only reason they could really reject you from shortlist is that they have more 'suitably' qualified candidates for the role.
    To be honest, I would rather have an experienced deputy who has seen the ins and outs of teaching rather than someone who has been in the industry for 5 years or so and has not seen further than their classroom!!
    Remember to sell yourself at the interview. Ask yourself, why you want this job? Are you looking to progress to a HT role? If successful, what qualities could you bring to support the leadership of the school?

7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Don't think being 50 is an issue. I've been doing a course recently with DHTs and lots are in the first three years of the role and are in their 40s-50s. It could be in your favour ahead of a 20 something who's only been teaching 3 years.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

The form may not ask for your date of birth, but it usually asks for academic and employment histories with dates, so it's easy to work it out.

9. install

install Star commenter

Your dob will most likely be known and at shortlisting too - but still apply OP. You have nothing to lose - don't let it put you off .

10. justamum

justamum New commenter

Thank you all for your advice - I am planning to apply.

11. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Good luck Justamum. If this one does not work out then keep trying.

12. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger New commenter

That's a perfect age for a DH!

13. praha

praha New commenter

Never be put off applying for a job due to your age.
    If you have the skills, ability and desire to do that job then go for it.
    I delayed going for more demanding leadership roles and remained as a teacher for years but that was my choice based on my family. Once my Family grew older I started putting myself forward for things and I was successful in gaining promotions including to SLT.
    However I am still resentful that I had to see less experienced people over the years taking on roles because they were the only ones applying.
    However I still feel that I could not have taken on more when my children were younger and even then I still was working incredibly long hours .
    You have do what suits you and your personal situation.
    Good luck