1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often should you move Year group?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by UpsidedownWorld, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Just wondering as lots of people are thinking of where they're going to be next year, how often is ideal to move year group?
    I moved last year in a new school and have heard that I might be moving year group again. I really don't mind, but I'd have liked to have had a year to improve on what I did this year.
    What do you think? When is best to move?

Thanks!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I think two years in one year group is good, because you can reuse and refine ideas from one year to the next. However, there are some teachers in the school I'm in who have been in their current year group for years and years, because they suit it and it suits them. I'd get bored, though, I think.

3. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I would do no more than 3 years, this is my 4th year in Y5and although I really enjoy the age group, it gets a little repetitive - even though I've changed topics around. That's part of the reason I'm moving to KS1!

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It depends on you. I would be happy to stay in Y6 for years to come but I know I need to move to be able to 'move up the ladder'. Some view staying in one year group for a long time as a way to cause teachers to be lazy. I say if somebody wants to be lazy they will be wherever they are.

I suppose ideally for many people it would be three years. One to get to know the year, two to refine your teaching and the final year to kick some proper ass.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I have taught a different year group every year of my eight years teaching at my present school, this is partly because I have often kept the same children year on year. I have also had to move classrooms 6 times which is a right pain.
    Good for professional development though, I'm nothing if not versitile!!
    Other downside is that the head is starting to put me in other classes (knowing that I can teach any year group) to teach my speciality subjects. This is leading to a very bitty week with my own class although I can get someone else to teach music for me as part of the 'swap'.

6. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

In my current school, we move every 3 years. However, some staff members tend to move between the same couple of year groups, thus preventing other staff to have a go at teaching that year (we're one form entry). For example, we have a teacher who has been at the school for 35 years and has only taught FS.

7. noonan123

noonan123 New commenter

I am currently in year 6 at the moment and have been for 3 years (this is my third) I however hate it. After the first year I didn't mind it and was not particularly fussed about being told I am staying, however my second year wasn't as fun and I began to get a bit fed up with it as the days went on. Previous to year 6 I taught year 2 and loved it, and one of the year 2 teachers went up to year 4 meaning there was a vacant spot in year 2, I asked my head but got told "no", I was gutted. So I embarked on another year in year 6 but I loathe it now, just before Easter I told my headteacher I need to get out of year 6 and was told "but nobody else wants Year 6 and you're settled in the classroom, one more year" but I started to look for other jobs in other schools and when my head phoned me one night to tell me I was staying in year 6 I told her I have looked at other jobs and at that point she began to panic and responded "no need in that, I will move you, please just stay" I am now being put in year 3, some of you may say I am being selfish or whatever by looking for a new job but year 6 for me is not my thing, so when I seen the job application for year 2 in another school I jumped at it.

However, when I was in year 2 I was there for 4 years, I think that was long enough to be fair, as much as I loved it down there, I also wanted a new challenge and something different to experience, miss it and would happily go back but also very eager to give year 3 a go.

8. I taught in year 3/4 for 2 years, and I have taught 5/6 for the last 11 years, just y6 for the last 10 years. Although I agree that changing year groups is a good thing sometimes, I believe that I have found my niche and can't imagine teaching anywhere else. I know that I will be moved at some point, and will be fine with it, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I don't know how people cope with changing every 2 or 3 years. I think it takes a couple of years to get to grips completely with a new year group. I don't find it boring to have the same year group as I am always changing the way I teach. I can honestly say that I have never taught the same lesson twice in all that time.

9. I think it's best to move when you feel like you need a change. That could be at different points for different people. I've been in year 4 since I qualified two years ago. Although I really like it as a year group, I do feel like I would like a new challenge! I quite fancy going down to KS1 but I'm pretty sure I won't be moved next year!

10. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I've been in nursery since I started and this is my second year and I'll be in nursery next year too but it's been hinted that I'll be expected to move after that. I was hoping to 'have a go' at Year 1 but the thought of moving Key Stages is starting to worry me already! Was going to put a post on Primary but then found this thread. Should I be worrying, what are the challenges of working in KS1 compared to EYFS and how much support could I legitimately ask for when I move, my school is quite supportive but I'm very aware that by that point I'll have been teaching for 3 years and no longer even a 'recently qualified' let alone newly qualified!

11. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

Well, I've been in the same year group for a long, long time. Every so often someone jokes that I'll be moving, but there's hardly a queue of people waiting take my place.

I am never bored - I change topics and re-plan all the time, and if I repeat stuff, I enjoy tweaking things to make them perfect. If I had to move year groups, I'd be fine and would probably enjoy making loads of new resources, but I am happy to stay where I know I'm doing a good job.

Career suicide, maybe - but I'm already doing what I want to do. Moving up would only mean more time out of the classroom.