1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often must teachers teach reading weekly.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vharvey5, Sep 10, 2012.

1. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how often, according to the curriculum, teachers are meant to teach reading per week, for each child please. (and how long the sessions should be) Obviously I know what my school policy is and what is "desirable" but I wondered what the curriculum states.
    Thank you

2. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how often, according to the curriculum, teachers are meant to teach reading per week, for each child please. (and how long the sessions should be) Obviously I know what my school policy is and what is "desirable" but I wondered what the curriculum states.
    Thank you

3. The curriculum doesn't state detail like this. What you think is appropriate is very much dependent on the age and ability of the children.

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Do you ever actually post something positive or useful?! Whilst I thought that reading the title, the OP made it obvious what their question was (per week not weekly) in their post.

To the OP... there isn't any set guidance on it. Personally, I go for one guided reading session a week and then I try to hear each individual read once a week as well. It's really up to the individual school and if they don't have a policy on it, it's up to the individual teacher.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No, never.

I hope you found that helpful.

6. Lol