1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do your children change their reading books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuffedcrust, May 16, 2012.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Does anyone have a routine that would work with Year 3?

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Mine change them after guided reading (year 1). In KS2 mine changed them when they come in first thing in the morning as I required silent reading until register time.

3. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Thank you upsadaisy. Would you let them change it on a daily basis?

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Aren't they reading longer books than that?

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

I teach Yr3/4. We have library time 3 days a week when those who need to change their books can. If they fiinish before this,they can read books from home or from a pile I have at the back of the classroom.
    Most of my class love reading (if they are waiting for monitors to collect books, pencils etc they read. They read while I do the register and sort dinners. They read while the stragglers get changed for PE, etc) so they need to change books quite often but this system seems to work.
    They often bring books in from home for the class reader as well.
    I am a great believer in allowing children to read for pleasure. Sometimes they choose books which are not challenging but which they enjoy (often from hearing me read to the class or from reccomendations from their friends) but I will allow this so long as they choose something challenging next time.

I think that being too prescriptive in what, and with when, children change their books can stifle their enjoyment of reading. I am quite happy when they come and tell me what they have read on a cereal packet or advertisement.

I am more interested in their comprehension of reading in all subjects in class as well as in guided reading sessions. Other stuff should be for the pure enjoyment of reading and hopefully with their parents, grandparents, friends etc.

OOPS! Straddled my high horse a bit there didn't I? Sorry.[​IMG]

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

No you didn't - it made perfect sense. I loved it once my child arrived in KS2 and reading a book from home was the "done thing" and also they have access to it for "down moments" during the day like you describe.
    It could happen in KS1 too. Trouble is, whatever book the child is reading seems to sit in some teacher- controlled box somewhere during the day and not be accessible to the children.
    So in answer to the OP, the child changes the book whenever they have finished their old one. It seems a natural point at which to change a book -- or maybe even sooner if after a couple of chapters they decide they really don't want to read that book at the moment.
    Another thought --- in some schools children seem to have to put their reading book into some kind of receptacle containing all the other children's books and reading records during the day. Could you make this box bigger so that it doesn't restrict children's reading to books the size of a scheme book or a standard paperback?

7. My children put their books in a box to change or not change. The 'change' books are checked, there are some children who would change their book everyday without having read at home. They are always asked about the book or asked to read a few pages to earn points for recall/ comprehension or to be asked to read it again . Some parents sign the record without ever having heard their child read. Change books time is during milk and fruit. Most children on scheme books change 2 or 3 times a week and some less able change everyday after reading in class.
    Class
    Library books are freely available during the day, before register, wet play time, finished work time or silent reading etc. They can be kept in the ir tray or put back on the shelf. Children off the scheme books have a choice of fiction/ non fiction to take home. Some choose books they already have at home e.g. The BFG but choose to read it again to share with friends in school.

8. We try to change as they have read the book. This may be everyday, every second day or once a week. We have a changing time every day so they can join in and change or not as the case may be.
    It is supervised by TA but the children do it themselves. This does lead to some repetition of books but over all we like them being able to do this themselves.