1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you teach a new sound during phonics?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LauraJeanD, Jun 28, 2015.

1. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Hi everyone

I have taught both Letters and Sounds and Read Write Inc. We have been teaching Read Write Inc for the last few years and I have really loved it. I have always introduced a new sound each day with regular consolidation periods and taught all sounds right the way up to set 3 as a whole class. This has always seemed to work well in my school.

However, this year I really noticed that a big chunk of children just couldn't seem to keep up. My high ability children soaked them all up so I continued teaching them so that the children all had access to them but then focussed on set 1 and 2 sounds with the less able once split into phonics groups and during continuous provision. So I will have them all on the carpet to teach a new sound then they split off into ability groups and the lowest group concentrates on blending and segmenting CVC and CVCC/CCVC words while the middle group concentrates on sentence level work using set 2 sounds and the higher ability group uses all the set 3 sounds no problem.

But I recently found out that my friend's little girl who is in reception at another school only got taught up to set 2 and she is definitely a high achieving girl who is exceeding with her reading and writing.

It's got me thinking....do I teach too much? Should I focus on set 2 and only introduce set 3 incidentally with the higher ability children who are ready? I think it has confused some of my less able who are more reluctant to "have-a-go" now that they know there are other ways to represent certain sounds.

What does everyone else do? Should I introduce a set 1 sound each day but then only introduce set 2 sounds once a week? I've always felt really confident with my phonics teaching and all children make good progress, just suddenly not sure anymore. Any comments would be much appreciated!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use a linguistic phonics programme so don't teach sounds in isolation so it's difficult to give an exact number. We introduce 5 sounds (but in words not one at a time) but wouldn't move on until 80% of the class are confident with 80% of the sounds so we may move on after a week or stay with the same sounds for two weeks

3. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

Same as you, Laura Jean - and the same results too! The highers get it immediately, the middle get it soon after and the rest trail behind. It's horrible. Which linguistics programme do you use Msz? I'd be interested in checking it out...

4. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Yeah I'm interested in trying things a different way. I'm thinking I may just stop after set 2 and consolidate until they are all secure, meanwhile teaching set 3 sound to higher ability children in groups and incidentally as they play? Hmm...

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter