1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you 'quality' mark writing in Literacy - Year 6?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gratzia, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I usually 'quality' mark about one third of the class each week, i.e. first week the above average children, 2nd week average children and so on but I have recently been told that this is not enough.
    I still read, tick and make a comment on the others but not in as much detail.
    The children peer assess too.
    What do you do?

2. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I usually 'quality' mark about one third of the class each week, i.e. first week the above average children, 2nd week average children and so on but I have recently been told that this is not enough.
    I still read, tick and make a comment on the others but not in as much detail.
    The children peer assess too.
    What do you do?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

"Long writing" every week marked, corrected, 2 stars and a wish, targets from last week reviewed and commented on, 2 targets set for next week, levelled against each AF every fortnight .
    Rest of the week I just read, tick and comment!

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Twice a week minimum all children are "quality" marked in detail and are given a gap task. In reality I find myself doing it a lot more than this.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Oh brother!
    How on earth can any child achieve any sort of target set in relation to improving writing in the space of a week?
    Such nonsense

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

The gap tasks I set my children are quick 5 minute (if that) activities such as up leveling a sentence or changing a connective for something more suitable. They are generally not linked to their targets.
    The whole class must should could targets last for a half term and we have focused lessons where we address these. Their individual targets are assessed from their writing papers which we do every Monday and only change once their is sufficient evidence.

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"up level a sentence" ???

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Yeah, don't you do it? It really helps for SATs.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad someone else finds this inaccurate grammar irritating. Though I;ve had to give in & use the term as it's in common use by so many teachers. I'd prefer upgrade' grammatically butdon't even like that much.

10. markuss

It's not so much the neologism. It's the principle of what (I guess) it means.
    You can't "level" one sentence.
    Do you "up the level" by making it more complicated than it needs to be?
    A two word sentence might be the most effective version there could be
    "I came. I saw. I conquered."
    How do you level that?
    Do you "uplevel" by writing "After I had come, I then saw, following which, I conquered." ???

11. markuss

Or - more uplevelled still:
    "Firstly, I came, like a raging, rampaging rhinoceros and then secondly, moreover, I saw like an eagle eyed, horrifying, huge headteacher inspecting the children in an assembly but finally and furthermore I conquered like I don't know what." WOW!!! what a great sentence!!!
    An uplevelled sentence like that is bound to get more marks in the "sat", isn't it? (Not if I'm the NCT marker!)
    Surely, children are still being taught that concisely and directly is usually way the best way to write - unless you're trying to be funny.
    You wouldn't think so on the evidence of NCT scripts, though.