1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you hear readers in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thatone, Nov 23, 2011.

1. thatone

thatone New commenter

thanks everyone - I clearly need to get get a system going quickly

2. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

I have to say that we listen to readers once a day, first thing when they come in. 15 readers for myself and 15 for my TA.

Perhaps this is too much?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't think you can be spending very long with each child. Are you sure this is quality time?

4. I rotate - one week my TA + I listen to all children read individually and the next week they all do a small group guided read. I try to rotate which children we're reading with so I still have a good grasp of where each child is and what they need to move on.

5. I am NQT as well and we have just implemented a new system this week which I hope will get easier with practise (for us and the children). We have 30 in the class and 6 children read to the TA and 6 read to me every day, so we're hearing everyone twice a week. This means there are two opportunities to change books, but only if they are ready to move up and we can see that they have read with someone at home too. It's not a foolproof system (yet) because it's very tight on time, but with a parent helper coming on two days, this eases the pressure. We have 3 'work stations' that operate for the children who are not reading that day, generally fine motor-based activities, and those 2 groups that are reading take their book bags to the carpet and share other class books with each other. This makes the transition quicker. We also have a file for each child where we put the 'next book' the night before.

6. Hi, I have 30 children in the class too, and hear them read twice a week with my TA. I personally change the books and I read the comments she and the parents have made and will discuss any issues with her. If I notice I haven't personally heard a child for a while I will make sure that I do that the next time they are scheduled to read. I have tried a few systems and prefer individual to guided reading at this point in the school year. I tend to pick up guided reading in the summer term as part of our preparation for transition to Y1, but don't do this if I feel they are still not ready for it. We tend to hear readers whilst the children are having free play, one hears readers and one does observations and supports children with their play. Hope this helps.

7. hi just wondered what scheme/books you are using at the moment with your reception class? thanks

8. When I taught reception , twice a week