1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you get sick?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Thomw1994, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Thomw1994

Thomw1994 New commenter

Might be a silly question here...

But I've noticed that I am getting sick quite a lot since I started teaching. I have a relatively strong immune system, but I do seem to come down with colds quite a lot (more annoyingly during holidays!).

I was just wondering whether anybody else seems to get colds more often? Or is this something I should be concerned about

2. nsier

nsier New commenter

Stress and all those disgusting pupils who don`t have a tissue

3. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

As a pupil I was never off school with a cold, I will miss a day per year with a cold, and I tend to get them in the holidays.

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

When I first started teaching in my early 30s I got loads of colds and sick bugs. I think working in EYs you are more likely to catch things as the children snot everywhere, pick their noses and hold your hand. I used to keep anti bacterial gel in my cupboard and use it two or three times a day, after a few years I moved into is 1 and 2 and got less Ill.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

A former GP of mine said she always knew when it was the school holidays as the waiting room was full of teachers !!

Don't forget that for too many parents we are a cheap, alternative childminding service as they send their children into school ill and full of germs. One child I insisted on sending home was green! Add to that the countless notes from parents telling me their child was unfit to do PE for this or that 'medical reason'. I liked to ask whether they were doing English or Maths that day and whether the child was excused them... that if they were fit enough to be in school then they were fit enough to do PE, plus I wasn't being paid to teach and nurse them !

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I find I usually can tough it out through the term and then get ill for the first weekend of the break... as if my body then gives in to the bacteria.

And start of September term is bad... all the germs* mixing together...

* no that isn't code for pupils. I mean actual germs.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I always gift myself a small cold in early September, to commemorate being indoors again after six weeks outside, and to celebrate the joy of being enclosed in a small unventilated centrally heated space with large groups of kids for eight uninterrupted hours. Just a small cold .
    Anything more serious than that would just be greedy.

sabrinakat and emerald52 like this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was in Early Years for 30 years and was always picking up colds and sickness bugs, at least at the beginning. Quite often you keep yourself going during term time and then succumb at the beginning of the holidays. In later years I used to use anti-bac hand gel and regularly wiped my laptop and smartboard screen with Dettol wipes, I probably also developed some degree of immunity. However, once I retired, I was much healthier and stopped having the almost constant blocked eustachian tubes that I had had for years, I had my first cold in three years a couple of weeks ago.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This.

Parent: Can you keep an eye on him please, he had diarrhoea this morning.
    Me: No, take him home.
    and

Child: My mum says I've got Chicken Pox.
    Me: (Looks down child's T shirt.) Oh yes, you have.
    Phones parent.
    etc.

Once, during an Ofsted inspection, a parent came to pick up their child who was sitting in the entrance hall with a sick bucket. She berated the Receptionist about having to come out and pick the child up and then complained to the Inspector who was watching about what a terrible school it was that couldn't look after the children. When she had gone, the Inspector said to the Receptionist 'Nice kids, shame about the parents.'

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A change of school clobbers me every time. A term of coughs, colds and assorted other infections while my rubbish immune system gets used to a bunch of new germs.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  11. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I might have a suggestion of a cold for a few hours- very weird. However, Mrflowersinspring is currently inflicting a very nasty cold on me. His coughing, spluttering, temperature, headaches, nose blowing, aching and general ickiness is keeping me awake at night so much so that I may have to comment on this to him in a terribly polite way.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

(Thinking of a new career in caring/ nursing.;))

emerald52 likes this.
  12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Maybe these minor illnesses are the "little extras" schools will be able to hand out more frequently in future? Or maybe the money can be spent on a box or two of tissues?

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

They already use them in our school as a reward to staff for good attendance.

mothorchid likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Early on I had the usual plethora of colds, bugs etc that most new teachers get, then had a bout of what appeared to be chronic fatigue syndrome, which lasted around two years. The GP gave me a fortnight off at one point but that was it - no other treatment. It came back a few years later for a while, after switching schools, but from then on things improved. During my last 6 years of full-time teaching I had no time off for illness, then maybe one day during four years of supply work. I've been visiting lots of different schools in recent years and have only had a couple of colds that I can recall.

15. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I think I’ll add ‘box of tissues’ to my list of ‘little extras’ I intend to purchase with my share of the £10K.

I get sick about twice a year with a bad throat and a fever so high I hallucinate. I can’t even swallow my own saliva and sometimes it makes my breathing difficult - I’ve ended up in A&E before with it. I usually have to have at least a week off, and it leaves me feeling like I’m wading through treacle for the rest of the term. I’ve asked to have my tonsils taken out but have been refused. The worst bit is feeling that first scratchy feeling at the back of my throat and knowing how ill I'm going to become.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When I was teaching I would get at least one cold a term, say 3-6 in a year, since I left I've had two in four years.

I've always been more susceptible than most to colds, though never realised quite what an effect being a teacher had. I always said if there was any major deadly flu outbreak I wasn't going to go in as I'd be first on the list to get it.

Kids are germy little boggers.

17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Got the cold that was making its rounds earlier term but not the throat/chest infection with it. Whilst I didn't take time off, I did go to bed earlier and rested on the weekend :)....I now imagine on my return to school next week, the germs will try again :mad:

18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Like many teachers, after half a term running on adrenalin, my immune system went on holiday. Towards the end of the first Sunday of any holiday, or half-term, I would feel the first prickling of a sore throat, and the following few days would have me 'blowing the nose trumpet voluntary'. This was worse at half-term holidays, as no sooner did I begin to feel better, it was time to go back to school! Contrary to my expectation, this was worse when I was younger. By my mid-forties, I noticed that this did not happen so much.

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have always been lucky with colds, flu and similar things, with mild symptoms and few colds . Had measles, chicken pox, mumps as a kid but no real problem at the time. I think I have been blessed with a good immune system and the only time I ever had off sick from school was with stress and this was during the last couple of years of teaching which made me realise I was doing everybody a favour by taking early retirement.

However, I usually had stress release migraines pretty much start of every holiday which put me in bed for a day or so. I resented this greatly.

The thing I did get from the kids though, was a persistent case of thread worms which I could not get rid of until I figured out where it was coming from. I was eating with the kids in the school canteen and using the cutlery laid out for the kids to pick up and use. It only needed one child with worms to rifle through the cutlery to transfer the worm eggs to the cutlery, and hence to me when I ate with them! (and the other children of course.)

So in answer to your question ThornW, I didn't suffer from colds and flu from the kids but certainly had an itching bottom for a while.

PS.
    Pop medical advice -- Worm parasites are supposed to help develop your immune system. Umm-m, but I think I'd rather have the colds!

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Apologies - too much information?

But it is part of what we have to put up with and should be recognised.