1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you get observed?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JAFF23, Feb 25, 2016.

1. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Was wondering how often other teachers are getting observed? 6 times a year in my current school unless you get the old RI in case it is obviously more. Can see lots of teachers leaving the profession if this is now becoming the norm!!

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

As much as the head decides is necessary. Could be 3, could be 12 or more. It's how it is these days. As long as it's done constructively and with a bit of common sense (which thankfully it is) I don't mind too much. In fact, I'd prefer it if the head just came in without notice, they'd get a realistic picture. Nothing to hide.

If it was done in the manner I've read about a lot on TES, I'd be looking for a new job.

As for feedback: it's sometimes useful, sometimes not so useful. It's always subjective and based on personal opinion. I usually just smile, nod. Then forget all about it and carry on with the job.

3. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I thought that there was a limited time limit in a year that teachers were to be observed? Can't remember exactly, but I something along the lines of no more than 2 hours???? Or did I dream it?

4. whitestag

I think those are Union guidelines for performance management purposes. There's nothing to stop heads observing as much as they want to. I'm the first person to question the value of subjective observations, but I can see it from the head's point of view. It's their school, they need to know what's going on.

I really do believe, rather than the frequency, it's the manner in which it is done that makes a massive difference to the effect on staff wellbeing.

5. sallylou

sallylou New commenter

We are observed once a term with written feedback and then there are the learning walks... quite a few. Governors, LA, local teachers etc.

6. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

6 x 30 minutes

7. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I don't think that I need to be observed in order to do a 'good' job. I need to be trusted because I am a professional person, who wants to do the best for the children I teach. And I believe that 99% of teachers are dedicated, hardworking and professional because they care, not because they are checked on every turn.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Never since October, apart from during inspection and then only for half an hour.
    The joys of being trusted to do a good job are once again mine! :)

TEA2111 likes this.
  9. whitestag

Great point. I've noticed a pattern that once an inspection is over, providing it went well and you get a nice shiny report with the word 'good' on it, you suddenly become 'free'. Funny how that doesn't happen when you are expecting the call!

It's all a game, really.

10. summlard

summlard New commenter

Oh it's just once a year in my school. We do have some learning walks too on top of that, but only one actual observation.

This year we've been asked to pick our weakest lesson for observation so that we can then get tips on how to make it better.

TEA2111 likes this.
  11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We are observed twice a year.

12. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Twice a year. Three times if one was not good. This is our performance management policy. We have a book scrutiny every half term which is more beneficial as can see progress.

TEA2111 likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The inspection was only a couple of weeks ago!

No observations since I started working there...couple of 'learning walks' which means the head popping in and chatting to a few children, smiling at me (that's a blast from the past!!!) and nippping out again.

TEA2111 likes this.
  14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I know I teach far worse when being formally observed, still got a good from the last Ofsted approx 18 months ago. I never got less than good for 20 years or so. Now the goal posts keep moving as do my grades. 9 years or so to my pension, love teaching hate the current regime. Children and their parents are happy with my performance, all that matters in the long run.

TEA2111 likes this.