1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you change your displays?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Bonnie23, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

We recently had a meeting where we were told we had to change our displays every week. This was given by our HoD and he is determined that it will happen. I teach a practical subject but we only have a making section every few months. It takes a long time to do a good display and to me it just seems like an irrational demand.

How often do you change yours? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    B

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

bout every 4 years.........

kearl1 and install like this.
  3. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Once a year... I'm secondary though. I know from friends, the display updates are more regular in a primary. However, every week is uneccessary, ridiculous and a little unrealistic. Maybe your HoD doesn't want really well planned lessons....?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Bonnie23

I'm secondary as well. I update my displays when I feel it's relevant to, things become outdated or I have new ideas to enhance the room. Honestly I think changing them weekly will make them scrappy, rushed and look rubbish.

wanet, pepper5 and MissHallEnglish like this.
  5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Unless he's doing them, giving you time to do them or finding someone else to do them, then I really do think you should stick to your guns.

wanet and pepper5 like this.
  6. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Once a half-term / term depending on topic or how relevant they still are.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If creating new displays each week is now a priority (according to your HoD), how long does he/she reckon it will take for the teachers to do that every week? To avoid overloading your school's staff, something will have to be dropped off the list of weekly tasks. Are you allowed to pick from giving up planning, marking, assessing, meetings etc? The HoD obviously thinks these things are not quite as important as redecorating on a weekly basis. It is just redecorating, otherwise you'd be changing your displays as and when you see fit and according to how much time you have/what you need to teach.

pepper5 and Bonnie23 like this.
  8. Bonnie23

Thank you

I thought it was just me being unreasonable. I already have 5 displays in my room and space outside as well. I’m not sure where he’s expecting me to magic the time from.

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Perhaps there is a small aspect of the displays you could update each week. Photos of students' work or something the students have produced. However, to do a different display each week is not realistic.

10. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Without giving up some of your previous tasks, you'll not have time to create multiple new displays every week. To cope with this 'problem' you could explain to your HoD that you'll have to get the students to spend a lesson each week creating large posters, taking down last week's and putting up the new ones. They would, of course, be missing out on the learning that would have taken place in that lesson. If the HoD thinks displays are more important than learning, it's up to them to explain their reasoning to the staff, pupils and parents.

install and Bonnie23 like this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

In my 20 plus years of teaching, I have seen a wide variety of approaches here. Primary Schools in my experience put far more emphasis on displays than other sectors - with TAs helping also with several layers of backing paper; clearly labelled work and displays to match current teaching. These can be hard work and time consuming tasks trying to produce a display that pleases all audiences -eg students, parents, givs, senior managers, head teachers, visitors and Ofsted. Consequently, It is potentially a cause of huge stress for all involved.

At Key Stage Three and Four, the emphasis on displays seems to change according to each subject - and even each teacher. There are schools where there are none existent policies on displays - due in some cases to the lack of appropriate space or simply lack of resources and time.

So changing a display once a year might well be acceptable at KS4 for example - simply because sadly they may be deemed in some schools as something that just adds to the environment rather than actually being a learning aid. Similarly so at A level.

But changing every week sounds impossible - unless there are Display Helpers paid to do that specific job in their working hours. I think if this type of demand is made - it will be important to request a policy if there is one just to be clear. Then see if it references time and resources and expectations.:cool:

bonxie likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

This post deserves a Trophy.:cool: A great idea and reduces stress all round..

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well there are displays and displays. I used to have some that were more or less up for the year - classroom rules, tables etc. Others were part of a working wall (do teachers still do these) and probably had updates each week as the teaching focus moved on. Then there were spelling lists that changed weekly. Then there were other things associated with the plan, either to reflect what had been covered or to stimulate thought about what was coming up.Then there were some displays celebrating children's work, they might be up for half a term - less of these than earlier in my career when they were the be all and end all of the classroom environment. Horses for courses.

install, pepper5 and Bonnie23 like this.
  14. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

As above. Other small things you could change could be a question of the week or fact of the week on the door, mini whiteboards on a prominent display where key vocab etc can change regularly. Student responses to learning on post-it notes or postcards. Star of the week awards. You could make these interactive parts of the lessons and easy to update.

To do a meaningful display change there should be a purpose and a lot of time. In fact, I think that doing displays is no longer a teaching responsibility under the workload agreement. Though I imagine lots of people do their own, it actually shouldn't be an expectation.

pepper5, bonxie, install and 2 others like this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Do **** ones.
    ;)

I sometimes use my display space to pin up work that I don't have time to mark. When other pupils finish something early, I get them to take down an item and give feedback on a post it. Then the original kids take it down and reflect on the feedback. Constant movement and change. Looks untidy but saves me time and ticks a lot of peer assessment/independent learning boxes.

16. install

install Star commenter

Wow...I am a little bit envious....how come or were you joking? :eek:

17. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

just lazy!!

18. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I have an 'instagram' wall where I put photos of #excellent work that I change regularly & a flamingo wall for stand out work ...

19. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

There is an argument that displays can distract from learning - blank walls encourage concentration on the task in hand.

Bonnie23 and pepper5 like this.
  20. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I taught in two Chem labs and two Physics labs. So managed to never put any displays up on the walls. (As I didn't really have my own room). There were always others who wanted to go so. I know, I admit to being a lazy git.

Bonnie23 and pepper5 like this.