1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How often did Tom Daley's DIDs make you cry?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 5, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh heck! What a gift for Lauren Laverne for her first Desert Island Discs. She isn't blessed with a warm radio style but even her spikey voice sounded touched by Tom's account of his father's death. He's a good talker. The music was a bit meh but he convinced us that it all had meaning for him. The Daley story is a good story.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

3. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Ahem - as a fellow Sunderland exile I take issue at the "spikey voice" comment! Oi!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I haven't much liked Laverne when I've heard her on Woman's Hour but I think she's excellent on this. She didn't intrude nearly as much as Kirsty Young does. She let him talk.

And I really like her voice.

Tom Daley. The music choices I quite liked. Very inoffensive. Very safe. Very "nice".

Total respect to him for saying his father died! Not passed away. Not passed. He said his father died.

Well done, Laverne. Unusually for me I shall probably tweet her to say so too!

lindenlea likes this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"the baby he and his husband paid for?"

Vince, you don't know that is the case. Nor is it any of our business, frankly. You sound like the Daily Wail...
    As far as I can tell, they seem a nice couple and I am as sure as I can be that they will give the baby loads of love and support. Nothing else needs to be said.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is it the accent that does it - I'm not sure it is. I don't find her a warm broadcaster, I think it's her personality coming through.
    I crossed swords with her very briefly in an online forum and haven't liked her much since.

7. Vince_Ulam

Of course, you are right. I must acknowledge that women everywhere are queuing up to give away their newborn children to millionaire gay couples.

May God bless & protect Robert Ray.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've always liked Lauren Laverne. She has been doing things on Radio 4 for quite a while now.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Vinnie Ulam. Straight in there.

Welcome to the thread.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  10. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Totally outing myself here... I used to sit next to her at school and she wasn't particularly nice to me then. (If any of my old teachers are on here - sorry - I was a little s*d!)

lindenlea likes this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh I love that! Son 2 meets lots of celebs and I love to hear about the ones who are lovely and those who are not!

12. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

@Vince-Ulam - although I like to think of myself as an accepting and live and let live kind of person I must admit that surrogacy doesn't sit well with me either whether payment is involved or not. I have no doubt that Tom Daly and his partner will be loving and dedicated parents but it's just the whole 'giving away a baby' which I find difficult to accept.
    Someone I know has a duaghter who became a Surrogate mother for a wealthy, gay couple in London. I was shocked as at the time it was the sort of thing you only read about in magazines and newspapers. She went on about how wonderful her daughter was for doing this and giving someone the gift of a child etc. It then transpired she earned 35k + expenses for doing so which at the time was more than she would have earnt in 3 years in her regular part time job. If any of my children did this I would quite frankly be ashamed of them.
    I personally don't think it's right. Maybe I am 'old fashioned or out of touch' but to me it is just wrong to trade in human lives like his.

I'm not saying that I don't think gay couples should be parents but I don't think buying/ selling or giving away a baby is the right answer.

I don't know what your deleted post said but I expect mine will go the same way.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I agree about buying and selling, but giving away? More than 4000 babies a year go into care in the UK. Surely being brought up by loving parents is better than that? Of course, there is no biological connection with adoption, and some people seem to place very great store by that.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  14. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

There are many women who give anything to have a child but due to being considered too old to adopt aged 35 have been unable to do so, not mention the money spent on attempted medical intervention.

15. Vince_Ulam

Life is unfair in many respects but children are not commodities to be exchanged.

16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I didn't make myself clear, I meant purposely having it to give it away.