1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How observant are you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Aug 23, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I think I am the world's most unobservant person.

A friend came to visit today, and we went out for lunch (the pub with the Christmas tree - no flashing lights today!).

As we returned home, she said, "Did you know you have a tree growing out of your chimney?" :p:confused:o_O

I looked up. Yes, growing out of the side of the chimney is a tree sapling. It's at least 1.5m tall, so has hardly sprung up overnight, or even over the last few months. I spend a lot of time in my garden. How could I not have seen it, when it must have been growing there for quite a while???? :eek::eek::eek:

And more to the point - what kind of person do I need to remove it? A builder? A roofer? A chimney expert? :(

smoothnewt likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You need someone who is very tall.

Is it an Ash tree ?

Dragonlady30 and chelsea2 like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It could well be - my garden is full of ash saplings, as there is an ash tree in the neighbour's garden. They drive me mad, as unless they are pulled up when they are very tiny, they become very firmly rooted. And often the first I know is when they poke through the top of another shrub!

I guess it could also be a buddleia, which may mean it has only been growing this year!!

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Ive been told by Yorks Police I am officially a s**t witness. When an unlicensed untaxed criminal sidebarged our car, the fact I only presumed the heavily pregnant passengwr had left the car in order to access the matrrnity unit meant they got off!

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

[​IMG]

chelsea2 likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Someone who isn't a lazy slattern.

chelsea2 likes this.
  7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Lacking observation skills - there's an I-Spy book for that.

Dragonlady30 and racroesus like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've never spotted one! ;)

nizebaby likes this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I would beg to differ.

All of us are astoundingly unobservant when our minds are elsewhere. What is unfortunate is that most people believe they wouldn't miss something-or-other, whereas the plain facts are that most of the time they do.

As a species, we vastly overestimate our abilities in lots of areas. Exploiting this difference is the basis of a lot of stage magic, for example.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Ask Ofsted.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Waldo was never found.