1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How normal is it to have no TA at KS2?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by acwhitehouse, May 2, 2012.

1. I'm supposed to have 7 class-based TA hours a week and 1.5 display TA hours (although I often lose one or both at the whim of the Head). I'm really struggling to set up and resource my lessons and get more that 15 minutes' break at lunchtimes. Forget any chance of a morning break completely. In addition, I'm doing all my own photocopying (even though I know it's one of the '21 tasks') and we have 2-3 meetings a week after school.
    I'm an NQT so I don't feel comfortable complaining. Subtle questions about workload have been rebuffed.
    I did the GTP and my training school was a world apart, where everyone had 'their' ETA, only one teacher per year group sat in assembly and there was only one after-school meeting a week. Was I just unbelievably lucky in my first school? Is this normal?
    A

2. I'm supposed to have 7 class-based TA hours a week and 1.5 display TA hours (although I often lose one or both at the whim of the Head). I'm really struggling to set up and resource my lessons and get more that 15 minutes' break at lunchtimes. Forget any chance of a morning break completely. In addition, I'm doing all my own photocopying (even though I know it's one of the '21 tasks') and we have 2-3 meetings a week after school.
    I'm an NQT so I don't feel comfortable complaining. Subtle questions about workload have been rebuffed.
    I did the GTP and my training school was a world apart, where everyone had 'their' ETA, only one teacher per year group sat in assembly and there was only one after-school meeting a week. Was I just unbelievably lucky in my first school? Is this normal?
    A

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Dunno about primary: in my MFL classroom (y7-9) we get a TA only if they aren't needed in a "more important" (ie Core) subject.
    I teach bottom set y9 (1 TA per 4 lessons: 5 ss with statements) and y8 bottom set (no TA at all despite 4 ss with statements) : just not enough TAs to go round!

4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

There's no right to TA support, I'm afraid, even a KS1 teacher isn't entitled to have one. The three meetings a week could be taking you over your directed time though i.e. 1265 hours a year.