1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How nmany NQT's get kept on at their NQT school?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I just wanted to point out that most jobs are now temporary contracts rather than permanant as the job market in education is ridiculous. I did my PGCE last year and we were told we would walk into a job but that is definitely not the case. You will more than likely struggle to get a job as not only will you be competing with people who graduate the time time as you but also 50% of last years NQTs, 30% of 2009 NQTs and other teachers who are looking for jobs.
    I am not trying to dishearten you but I am trying to tell you that you will need to be prepared to take anything! I regret being picky about which jobs to apply for last year as I was under the impression it would be easy - how wrong was I!!! I am still looking for a job and supply is dead.
    Due to all the budget cuts schools are being very careful on what they spend their money on resulting in fewer jobs and temporary contracts. The increaing use of Cover Supervisors and use of TAs to cover lessons means that schools will get by with what they have got rather than what they should have.
    Good luck but be warned it is tough out here!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you are one of the Still-Haven't-Got-A-Job NQTs, CrazyChemist. And I am grateful to you for posting this advice.
    Don't be too picky is indeed the right thing to tell people. You need a job - almost any job - to start your induction year.
    Hope things turn out better for you soon. Best wishes
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Look forward to seeing you then!