1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How needy are your pets?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Nov 29, 2016.

?

How needy are your pets?

1. Very needy

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Not particularly needy

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Very independent

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I'm the needy one so they don"t have to ask for attention they get it constantly anyway

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Other measure of attention used, details below...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Adorable though our cats and dogs are one of them will always come over and nudge you for a tummy tickle, is he alone or are other pets quite needy when you forget to give them attention? I'm not complaining mind, just wondered how common the behaviour is among our pets.

mathsmutt and guinnesspuss like this.
  2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Daphne is very needy - she literally sleeps on top of me and needs lots of cuddles. She's elderly now - 15 1/2, so sleeps quite a lot on the bed but seems happy (she was always an indoor cat).....

3. needabreak

Do you find yourself not moving so as not to disturb her?

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes, especially teaching in front of my students but they do seem better behaved when I have the cat draped over my shoulder or when carrying her in a snuggle - sometimes the snoring gets loud and disturbs the children when they are taking tests.....

5. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Two cats in bed with me at the moment. One seems to need to be in constant physical contact with me, so is always draped across an arm or shoulder, and waiting for a chance to wrap herself around my neck. Other chooses to sit on my knees but grumbles and gets up, huffing angrily to himself, if I so much as wiggle my toes. Combined, they make sure I don't move much once I'm in bed.

6. needabreak

That sounds lovely and peaceful to be fair. I am not sure I could teach at home this lot would have to be locked outside the room as they vie for attention, then bark at passers by and foxes in the garden, it would be pandemonium. :)

7. needabreak

Hot water bottles! Lovely :)

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Our cat cannot get by unless there are two, and sometimes three, bowls of cat food arrayed for his pleasure and he doesn't like chicken.
    At least that is the situation with Maleficent caring for him.
    While she was on her back taking her ease I looked after the cat; each bowl of food was finished soon after being set down and chicken was consumed. One bowl at a time.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have three dogs. They are all different in when and how they like their fuss. One has a fabulous offended stare for if you stop stroking him. The smaller one will climb up you and demand attention. The softest has fur like an angora rabbit - he doesn't need to ask for fuss, stroking him is a pleasure.

10. ldnsenco

ldnsenco Occasional commenter

My cat sleeps all day and goes out all night. Meows at the window around 8 am my husband lets him in. Cycle repeats.

Sometimes he comes back and forth to the window but if you ignore him, he soon learns from the boundaries. Husband is a mug and gets up to let him in!

He eats dry food from a bowl and water. Has learned to respond to a 'no' so no longer goes on the couch and understands when I open tuna that might be for me and not him! He doesn't scratch either which is awesome cause our old cat did.

He's a delight actually. Such a sweetie. Likes a cuddle but not always. Enjoys a bit of 'Simba held up as if on he Pride Rock' acting too....... :) Or maybe not, but he
    lets me!

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I feed my Goldfish twice a day

I completely change their water every two weeks, they get water which is constantly filtered. They have 5 hours of extra light a day via a timer.

They are perfectly happy I think - they are all nearly 10 years old.

Next door's cat on the other hand - aggressive pan-handling little g** that he is, constant attention seeking behaviour all the time - glad we don't own him.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Three English Cocker Spaniels all with completely different personalities. The boy is the largest and very laid back. He reminds a bit of Dylan in The Magic Roundabout-easy going. The middle sized one-girl-was absolutely fine. She could be a bit of a diva if I had the cheek to sit with OH on the sofa. That was HER space, thank you very much. The oldest is also the smallest and our newest girl. Although she looks like an angel, she's a thug and a bully!! Deliberately demands attention, particularly if middle one is looking for a cuddle. She will mug the other two and has a growl way bigger than her size. Middle one has become very insecure and clingy since the last one arrived.

13. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Ours is conflicted.

She wants attention now and then, but not too much, and sometimes looks for reasons to fight- for example asking for a tummy rub which she usually uses as justification to fight.

She loves having her forehead stroked and sometimes I'm so cruel that I do that when she's asking for her tummy to be rubbed. Poor love, she can't decide whether to enjoy that or get @rsey that I'm not giving reason to attack.

I really am so evil

14. needabreak

My other dog gives demanding dog a look when he decides he needs more attention and I am pretty sure the look is saying, "oh really?... again?" :D

15. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

I only have two guinea pigs-they never want affection; I just can, on occasion, smother them with it :D.

This is because all small rodent-y pets are hardwired to run away from anything swooping down on them from above(including a much-misunderstood owner) as they think it's birds of prey coming to eat them!

They give into my love eventually, once they've got over their initial terror (being heavily bribe-able with carrots does help)

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I can't even go to the toilet without the cat scratching and meowing to come in. It's like having a toddler.

17. Dragonlady30

I know that feeling!! If I had not shut the loo door properly-it opened out into the hall not into the room- a little black paw would appear round the edge of the door, pulling it open. A smug looking cat would then wander in for a stoke!!! :D

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's Daisy and Fred in my avatar.

Daisy is a spoiled brat. She nudges you for whatever she wants and expects to get it there and then. She's cat-like in that she will affect indifference when it suits her. "Get off me. I don't permit you to do that." She loves ball-play. She dumps a ball at your feet (throws it) and you have to throw it for her as many times as she wants you to. She puts the ball under the sofa, TV or bookcase deliberately and barks at you to retrieve it. Everything is on her terms.

With food she'll ask for something. You offer it. She backs away and refuses. You put it on the worktop. She then tells you she wants it now. This behaviour can be repeated 3 or 4 times until you leave the kitchen or she relents. Like I say - brat! Adorable brat.

Fred is much more biddable. More grateful. Typical rescue dog. He doesn't like being left. Good thing I've retired.

Spotty? Well, her health care requirements mean you have to spend most of the day giving her tablets or drops or more tablets followed by skin cream. She's never been a bother. Independent dog.

The cat? The cat is a cat.

19. Dragonlady30

Love the new avatar, GDW, and the explanations. :)

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

NaziKat says I have to start a political movement that sweeps the nation, stigmatises a minority group and pushes for him as supreme leader of the movement before using UK military forces to engage in a campaign of conquest across Europe...

So needy...