1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by bigfatgit, Jan 27, 2020.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Thought I'd start a new thread as it has gone very quiet on here

Have you ever asked your students how many hours they train outside of your practices in school?

I have KG children (4 years old) who are training 15 / 16 hours a week in gymnastics (very early morning and late night)

The parents openly boasting about this while I'm saying, "Child abuse"

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

How many hours a week did you train whilst still at school?

3. diddydave

I know my wife once considered setting a minimum number of hours that students had to undertake outside of school in order to be allowed onto the GCSE course...I think the modal number of hours in her groups was zero.

4. diddydave

15-16 hours...that's a lot...I was a cyclist, a sport where you can ride for hours in one session but I don't think I ever topped 16 hours in a week - not in a school week, holidays perhaps when we'd ride from 9am to 3pm but that was touring rather than training.

Mon-Fri (3 out of the 5) Ride 1/2 hour in the morning before school, then meet dad from work 20 miles another 1.5 hours...Saturday 3-4 hours, Sunday the same unless we were racing....total ~14 hours

5. bigfatgit

When i started swimming (aged 8) it was 1 x 30 minutes on a Wednesday night (the other 30 minutes were for the adults from NCR to have a "dook")

By 10, this had become 5 x 30 minutes as part of the district team

By 12 it was 5 x 1 hour plus 2 hours on a Sunday

By 16 it was 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night 5 times a week plus 2 hours on Saturdays / Sundays or national team training camps

The most i ever did was at university in the States - 28 hours, but at far more convenient times

If you drive past any of the clubs in Cairo at, say, 10pm, you will see all these little ones being carried by mummy / daddy / nanny / driver to the car. They are fast asleep and already in their PJs and dressing gowns. By the way, that's not just for gymnastics, that's all sports as the adult teams seems to get the "best" times

When I can bite my tongue (and not say "child abuse"), I ask the parents of the little ones, "When does she have time to be a little girl and, say, play with her dolls?" I never get an answer.

4 years old and still up at 10pm (and still to get home before getting to bed) and then getting up early to start school at 7.30am!!!

6. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

Interesting one, I played School, Club, County & Region as well as trained for all of them.

If you just included pitch time then let’s take an estimate at 12 a week assuming an hour match & 2 hours training.

But if you include travelling time - I didn’t go to school in my own town, or even county, which obviously had representative implications I’d easily surpass 16 hours.

But not at 4 years of age - at 4 8 was probably playing with Lego as I’m pretty sure I was to young or ham fisted for Subbutteo

7. bigfatgit

I was having a chat with my big brother (yes, at 6 feet 5 inches and 22 stone, I am the "little one" in the family) and he reminded me of our Rugby training regime.

2 x 2 hours on the pitch followed by several hours in the bar drinking Guinness (other beers are available) for free to "keep our weight up"

Still trying to stick to that regime, although I don't do the on the pitch bit any more and I have to buy the beer