1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much writing

Discussion in 'Music' started by lkbc177, Feb 15, 2012.

1. How much writing do you do in KS3 music? Is it a big focus of your lessons or do you just do a bit now and again?

2. I try to avoid it as literacy is low in our school and it can take them over half an our to do a simple 'read and answer questions' worksheet for example.
    The things we do that are written are:
    • key words and defintions
    • evaluations
    • planning compositions (making notes about what they have done so they remember from week to week)
    • spiderdiagrams to explore an idea
    I try to offer writing frames or starter sentences when I want them to write something other wise they don't write in full sentences.
    In my African unit we have just done we literally had a wroksheet with 5 keywords on and they completed a definition each week, and then they completed an evaluation at the end of the unit. Some of them wrote down composition ideas too to help them plan and remember, but the rest was completely practical. The kids didnt miss the writing parts and neither did I really.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

re: writing about music
    I don't want to appear provocative, but no wonder literacy is low if teachers avoid getting students to write because their literacy levels are low :)
    Having said that, I don't think there's good reason in most schools to do a lot of writing about music at KS3, especially if timetable allocation is quite low. But writing about music is a very technical matter, and it can make the leap to GCSE less problematic if pupils can get some idea at this age that it is not a written version of what DJs tend to say between tracks or what pop stars blurt out when interviewed on the telly.

4. Following Whitney Huston,s death I was pleased to see a discussion about the meaning of melisma on the bbc new pages!

As far as writing goes, I have created worksheets for some to,pics which have lots of reading but with blanks for the hinsertion of ey words and phrase.

Firstly, the students love to second guess what the missing words are and second it makes them think about the text. So, writing, no, reading yes.

There is a sub question here which is to do with how much information we are giving students and how retain it and how we assess their understanding of it.

5. Thank you all for replying. I try to do as little writing as possible but am looking at ways in which I can help to improve literacy mainly through speaking, listening and reading activities. It's good to know other people are doing similar things.