1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much writing should children be doing in Reception ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by quinnjuk, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm a male teacher who completed my NQT last year. I'm currently working in Reception covering maternity leave and have no previous experience of working in the foundation stage, so it has been a fast learning curb.
    I was just wondering how much writing Reception children should be doing at this time of year because I am being heavily pressured by another colleague to get the children to write sentences daily in their books. The majority of children are secure in phase 2 of letters and sounds and we are just starting phase 3. I thought children in reception were meant to learn speaking and understand talking in sentences before being expected to write them constantly. I think emergent writing is important but not to the point where the children are writing everyday just to fill up work books.
    Can anyone advise me ? Thanks

2. Well, there's a mismatch somewhere if the children have only just finished Phase Two and yet someone thinks they can write sentences every day.
    They can write controlled words and simple sentences of alphabetic code that they have learnt - and they can copywrite forming letters as shapes - and they can play-write - but if they are barely at word level and only have a bit of alphabetic code, they cannot be expected to 'write' much per se.
    The teacher can model writing to show the processes but is it wasting precious time if children are constantly over-stretched to write sentences which are mainly beyond them if they don't have the matching code knowledge and letter formation?

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have writing materials in CP inside and outside. Each week there is a writing activity in our freeflow session. At the moment this is labelling or completing a sentence - based on individual capabilities. Our CLL has been mostly talk to date. When we do writing there is a starting point - eg they draw a picture or choose something to write about - a picture or object. There are only a few children in my class capable of writing a sentence at this early stage. In fact, I only have a third of them on reading books, so most of them don't know what a sentence is yet.