1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much would you pay for a topic planning service?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bungalowbill, May 10, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I am hoping for people to be very kind and be so good as to answer a few questions for me about their views on a planning service for teachers and schools.
    The main service would be tailor made planning for either a half-term's or term's worth of planning, including long term, medium term and short term planning (with differentiated tasks), ideas for educational visits and outcomes for a topic of your choice. The main premise is that you tell me the topic and I'll do the planning for you!
    A more stream-lined service would be a long term plan with just objectives, tasks, outcomes and educational visits. This wouldn't include short term plans.
    Additionally, we would provide downloadable fonts for display, images, links to websites and other excellent resources.
    Obviously, teachers would not necessarily want to pay for the whole service but may be interested in the more basic planning service.
    Basically, I would really like to know how much you would pay as an individual, or if you are a headteacher, how much would you be prepared to pay for a planning service.
    I would love any comments, thank you in advance.

2. Nothing, as our HT wouldn't even entertain the thought.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Nothing as I find following other people's planning more work than doing my own

4. How could you do short term planning with differentiated tasks when you don't know the children you are planning for?

5. Thanks for your honest replies.
    I would ask for information from the school as to individual needs of the school etc.

6. And what about resources?! Wouldn't you need to come to my school and see what's there? I hate doing topics from worksheets - we try to buy sets of books and have built up lovely collections of resources over the years. If I had to add my own resources to your plans, I might as well do the planning myself in the first place. Would you also be able to tailor make it to my SEN and more able children? I can't see how it would work, especially when we base our plans on the 'What do we know' and 'What do we want to know' ideas that we get from the children at the start of each topic.
    Sorry - the idea of paying for planning is not for me!

7. karentee

karentee New commenter

It really wouldn't work, without knowing the school, children, their interests and thier abilities. My planning changes from day to depending on the children,their level of engagement in certain activities/lessons aswell as my own interest level, without even considering how well they have met the objectives etc as a school we looked into the IPC and have explored other schemes for different subject but they are never the solution you hope they will be and usually end up being left on a shelf to gather dust!

8. I think maybe a service that could give you a mind map of ideas for a topic would be good.

9. I wouldn't pay anything as, like the others have said, you do not know the children and their needs. Also, although I have an outline of objectives that I want to cover, a lesson may not go to plan, which means that the whole scheme would be out of sync. Thirdly, I wouldn't want to use anyone else's plans, purely because I enjoy the freedom of being able to follow my own and make up my own activities.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nothing at all. What would be the point? I generally don't mind planning, it is the mind numbing box ticking marking I'd pay out for!

11. Ha!! My plan changed by the minute this afternoon when I realised that 40 mins of independent writing under test conditions this morning had left my Y4s incapable of doing anything other than draw and colour in this afternoon!!! I actually thought I had broken them!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooops pressed enter too soon, sorry!
    Are you a teacher? Do you have a clue about AfL and child led learning and all that? You could not possibly, with any sense, plan a whole term's topic. who knows where the lessons will head or how much progress children will make? You could not possibly plan lessons for my class as well as I could do it myself. And I'd have to pay over and over again each year as I'd have a new class with different needs.

Having said all that, there are lazy teachers who simply use published plans with no thought at all, and certainly no adaption for their own class. However they simply pay £20 or so to buy a book of plans or subscribe to a site. They might be interested in your service, but wouldn't pay enough to make it worth your while.

13. Didn't we have the QCA for this?
    [​IMG] *cringes at the memories of some of the terrible activities the QCA planned*

14. Thank you for your comments - much appreciated.
    I agree that lots of schemes of work are dull and sometimes way out of touch with what children are capable or willing to do!
    It seems that a skeletal plan for topics might be more useful - just ideas for how to tie in every subject with an idea?

15. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

To be honest, this is something that can be done in about 20 minutes, is quite fun and is easy to do as you know exactly which topics you are doing, and can change topics around if necessary.

16. This would be impossible for me to buy into.Sometimes I decide the topic based on what needs to be covered in the National Curriculum; sometimes the children's interests drive the Topic. However, where I have repeated the topic I have never been able to use the same planning as different groups of children know different things - starting points may be different, then route through the planning may be different... no two years are ever the same - I may have a skeleton plan but every year I adapt it.No amount of differentiated tasks you could offer could meet the hugely different cohorts every year. So your medium and short term planning just wouldn't work for me.
    Even if you could give me a medium term plan I would probably spend more time reading and understanding what you had planned, then adapting it to meet the needs of my class, than if I had planned it in the first place.
    Your "streamlined service" is actually the bit I enjoy the most - I know the children, what is available locally to take advantage of (visits, visitors, etc), what the outcome is and how to get there. I don't see how you can do this without local knowledge or knowledge of the children.