1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much will you spend over Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rachelpaula008, Nov 24, 2015.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

You don't have to say, by the way : )

Do you like to splash out? Do you have to be cautious? Have you and yours agreed to maintain a budget? Are you skint?

Please add categories to the above.

I'm sort of in all of the above at present, but like buying presents and receiving them.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Being unemployed as little as possible...

But usually I'd go for about £40 a person [small family anyway].

Food seemed to cost about £80 ...

cissy3 likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Whatever Maleficent leaves in the bank account.

cissy3 likes this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Why does Christmas have to happen? Who says?

I can't be bothered going through the whole rigmarole again, for the umpteenth time, I'm tired of it, it's boring and tedious . . . there is not one single thing I would CHOOSE to go through year after year apart from Summer, Summer is GREAT. Is it not possible to get immunity or exemption from Christmas? A vaccination, perhaps? A lobotomy from Amazon?

Flere-Imsaho, cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

We're pretty broke this year so the 2 older kids are getting about £40 worth of small presents, so they have lots to open rather than anything massively valuable. Baby is getting the older one's old baby toys that I found in the attic.
    Everyone else is getting art work, hand painted/cut/made by me! Lucky, lucky them! Ha!

I'm not normally so cheap, but needs must.
    I've even decided to save money on advent calendars by recycling baby food jars, decorating them with sequins and glitter and Christmasy stuff and filling them with little sweets instead. They actually look pretty good! Might have to keep that little tradition up!

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

As little as possible.

Dunteachin and cissy3 like this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Far too much, I expect!

8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm absolutely skint too. I usually make my own cards and stuff, but I can't be bothered this year. And I'm so bored with cooking Christmas dinner.

The tree will cost nothing though. Fred is in the garden, in a pot, and has survived well over the last few years!

kibosh likes this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Don't tell me you've had your OH embalmed and stood in a pot and are going to decorate him?

Orkrider2 and cissy3 like this.
  10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Not too much, I only buy real gifts for 4 people including my son. A few at work get token gifts but more as a thank you than a christmas celebration. My mum, my sister and I tend to chip in for the food shopping and none of us are big drinkers, so the booze bill isn't much - especially when you factor in the wine from children at school.

Tree decorations are reused. I might need to buy new lights this year though.

11. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Don't you like the food, though? : )

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Much reduced this year, I'm afraid and will be so in future too. Can't see the coffers being replenished effectively any time soon , other than a win on something.

I have less and less interest in the binge fest each year and more and more irritated that it begins earlier and earlier. And now we have another import from across the pond this Friday.

13. Macrinus

Macrinus Occasional commenter

3 shillings and sixpence

ValentinoRossi and coffeekid like this.
  14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

We are not foodies and don't do the meat thing. I don't understand this preoccupation with 'over the top goodies' ( thinking of M and S here ) and run of the mill chocolates piled high in the supermarket aisles as if Roses / Ferrero Rocher were rationed at any other time of the year ! Spend very little at this time of year as we are of the mind that you should just buy what you want when you want - it works for us but suspect the we are in the minority. Would appreciate a gift / card given / sent at anytime of the year because someone wanted to rather than obliged to .

15. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Yes. The Black Friday I read about it earlier, foxtail. I remember the news from last year. Pile of sh''e.

16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

We don't go mad on presents but make sure we give nice, wanted things.
    The only things I splash out on are the goose, ham joint and beef rib joints from a lovely ,local butcher.

racroesus likes this.
  17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

A Cratchit Christmas here.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I live with Scroogina.

20. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I owe an embarrassing amount on a credit card so will not be spending much this year. All gifts a fiver or less and come from the heart. For my friends - printed Wordles in frames, my OH is happy with a book token (maybe more than a fiver that), for my parents some family photos printed in boots and framed, for my brother and SIL... Not sure yet! But I'm determined to do it all on the cheap. No big shopping centre trip for me. I think this year's presents will be more meaningful and less about the tackiness that Christmas seems to have become. I'm not expecting much either as I already had my present from my folks (a bit of cash towards something) and I just want a nice time after my horrible summer.