1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how much was your pay deducted?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by the saviour, Jan 26, 2012.

1. So, it was the day l was dreading, it's been a long time since our last pay and l knew this one was going to be a little less due to strike action, but it seems that different councils have deducted different amounts. I'd be interested to see what the norm across scotland has been. I am top of the main salary scale and had £175 deducted. Can anyone enlighten me on anything different?

2. Mine was just a bit less but I am not at the top of the scale. Pretty awful for January though!

3. I was just under that as I'm a payscale below, however it seems that this is wrong. I know of some who have had less than £100 deducted and its depending on how many days have been considered and whether after or before tax. This £175 is too much for 1 day? We don't work pro rata and we have an hourly rate, therefore it should have been less. No sure what we can do now though, anyone know?

4. redz

redz New commenter

£145 am full time and top of pay scale

5. Ridiculous that each council seems to have made up it's own rules. And will we be informed of what councils plan on spending all their extra cash on? Grrr

6. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

My authority seems to have taken my hourly rate and multiplied it by 7 to work out what they deducted.
    Top of Chartered Teacher scale so around £178 on the top line although it was about £110 less in take home pay. Can't be accurate as my mileage claim varies from month to month.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The difference is due to holiday pay The 40th is due to the 40 days hols introduced in the sell out agreement. 1/235th is the daily rate and if every LA used that rate, deductions would be a lot easier to calculate.

8. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The difference is due to holiday pay The 40th is due to the 40 days hols introduced in the sell out agreement. 1/235th is the daily rate and if every LA used that rate, deductions would be a lot easier to calculate.

9. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

My strike day actually went out of my December salary and I was £27 down on my net pay. I am M1. It was about £41 pre tax that I lost.
    I am part time 0.7 and it appears that they took 1/365 of my annual part time salary, not bad as the strike day was one I should have been in on a full day so I actually did quite well.

10. Lucky you!
    My council sent a letter advising that deductions from pay would be calculated as 1/235 of annual salary.
    As I'm part-time this meant my strike deduction was pro-rata and was taken from my January pay.
    However I've just received a letter stating they made a mistake and for p/t employees this should have been calculated on the basis of 1/1645 tiimes the daily hours worked. So they're now taking a further deduction from my Feb pay.
    It doesn't seem right that different authorities are working out deductions in different ways.

11. chocolate jesus

chocolate jesus New commenter

Well, I have just had a refund! The comment from Highland was that 'on the advice of COSLA the rate should be based on 1/235 days. Seemingly this information was not available at the time... Really? Highland seemed pretty cocksure and arrogant when I originally phoned them and they informed me that all the unions had agreed to 1/195. So the latter had agreed but COSLA had not... Seems like someone put 'legal' the cat among the barrack-room pigeons.

Now I think I am going ask for the interest on the difference that did not make it into my bank account.