1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge for longer session

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mermaid7, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I currently charge £21 for an hour and have been asked the price for 90 minutes. What would be reasonable? I’m there already for the hour but obviously it’s an extra 30 minutes. Any advice welcome.

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I usually charge a slightly lower rate for a longer lesson. Based on your rate of £21 for one hour, £30 would seem reasonable. Your rates do seem quite low but I guess it depends where you live.

01ade and Mermaid7 like this.
  3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

30 is reasonable
    I work at home and if it was me I'd just halve my hourly rate and add it on

Mermaid7 likes this.
  4. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Thanks - I suggested 30 but they want to pay less. I hate this haggling aspect.

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Let them go elsewhere and get it cheaper then. You are a teacher not someone selling a carpet in a far eastern bazaar.

6. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I never haggle. If they don't want to pay the rate I tell them to find another tutor.

suzette, langteacher and Mermaid7 like this.
  7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

If you weren't doing the extra half hour that would free up a space.
    You are doing that extra half hour therefore it needs paying for

8. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I would get rid! I always tell parents I have a waiting list and it makes them less likely to ask for rate reductions. £21 is very reasonable and £30 for 90 mins is more than fair. I would go back to them and say I will do it for £31 (and then keep going up). I charge £30 for an hour and £45 for an hour and a half.
    You need to think about how much an hour and a half of your time is? What would you pay a hair dresser or plumber?

9. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

£30 is very reasonable and fair. At that rate you should get lots of work. All businesses have the same dilemma about what to charge, too much and you lose work too little and you cheat yourself. I err on the side of cheapness as I've explained on other threads. It means I'm always busy and am making contacts. There is no point in charging too much and having no work particularly if you are new. I think if you are established and highly regarded you can charge more (and I will when I'm in that position).

10. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Tell them that some tutors (ie ME) charge £50 an hour and £70 for 90 minutes. They are lucky to have you, and should pay up without haggling.

11. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I would raise your hourly rate and then charge it as follows:

60 minutes £30
    90 minutes £45

I wouldn't offer a discount because, as others have mentioned, you may be giving up another hour slot to accommodate the extra 30 minutes.

Any client who attempts to haggle does not respect you as a professional. You are better off holding firm and inviting them to seek a cheaper tutor.