1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge for home school group?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by NHEM5, May 22, 2019.

1. NHEM5

NHEM5 New commenter

Ive been having a break from teaching science and tutoring, my rate is £30 per hour plus travel. I’ve been approached by a home school group and asked to meet with them today. They want me to teach fun ks3 science to a group of children. I’ve no idea what I should be charging though, any suggestions?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think at the least, I would think about any costs over and above teaching a single student as you usually do, charging any extra time at your usual rate, and charge at least that. Whether to ask for more would depend on how keen you are to do this. And if you think them likely to pay up! Is this a class parents pay for? If so, and assuming you can find how much they pay, you will have an idea of how much might be available to pay you.

If this is something you want to do, keep the cost down, or at least be prepared to settle for less. If not, ask for whatever you think would compensate you. £60 per hour plus travel?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

How about

4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Or plus 10% per extra child to cover planning, resources etc.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I certainly would find planning a delivering a lesson like this far more onerous than my usual one to one sessions, and would therefore charge more than usual, even if there were no additional costs for resources.

6. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I think you should consider how many hours it will be and the time of day. If the lesson is in the day time where tutors tend to be less busy maybe you should do it for less? Depending on how busy you are maybe it would be worth doing this for a reduced rate as it could lead to more work in the future? So maybe £20 per hour for planning and £30 per hour teaching and a extra £5 per child. Then maybe offer 10% off for each additional hour they book?

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Whatever you decide you need to make it clear that that is the rate even if they're not all there for any reason. You need a regular fixed income

8. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I would suggest you run this as a 'course and ask parents to pay up front for the whole course, say 6 weeks, or whatever fits best. If they miss a session it doesn't put you out of pocket. With any kind of group tuition you need a guaranteed income and without charging up front, people will feel they can come and go (and pay) as they please.

I run 1:1 sessions at £35 ph and would want more for a group if it was just basic tuition, more if I was travelling and providing lots of equipment. Calculate your time including planning, teaching and travel then add on expenses for materials.

Pick a minimum number for the group and divide your total by that - then you have your fee per person for the course, any extra students are a bonus. If you have minimum numbers of say 5, then the cost shouldn't be extortionate for them.

langteacher likes this.