1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much to buy?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by eal2, Jul 6, 2011.

1. My cousin is having a big party at the weekend and has asked me how much single cream should she buy to go with the raspberries. She has about 90 people coming. I used to be a professional cook before I became a teacher and I used to know quantities per person and somewhere I have a book with all the info but i can't find it.

Anyone able to help?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I would prob allow 30ml (2 tbsp) - 50ml per person - and would probably have loads left, but I hate undercatering!

3. I would go for 5 to 6 litres.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Don't forget to remind her that cream freezes well: if she pours any left-overs into ice cube trays, she will have ready-made 1tbsp portions to enrich sauces etc.

5. Thanks that's really helpful.

6. Sorry, I used metric measures, as I have no idea about imperial measures.
    That would be round about 10 to 12 pints?

7. Does that work even after whipped?

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yup, but it doesn't stay whipped so is only useful as pouring/cooking cream after freezing. I've never tried re-whipping it though, but I suspect the molecular structure would be changed so it wouldn't work.
    What I have done is freeze whipped cream and then use it in sauces etc - very successful!

9. Great tip, though - I had never thought of it!