1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how much time do you spend...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lisa_maf, Feb 2, 2019.

1. lisa_maf

lisa_maf New commenter

Evening,
    Just wondering how much time you spend out of school planning and preparing resources and lesson planning at home? I've recently returned to a KS2 part time teaching position working 2 days a week. Currently I spend about 2-4 hours a week at the weekend doing prep and planning for my 2 days. In addition I usually take a day or 2 in the holidays to plan topics such as RE/ PSHE/ French for the half term. To me this feels excessive and is beginning to impact negatively on my weekends. I have small children so cannot work during the day on my days off, so tend to do it at the weekend when my other half is home.

I usually stay for 2 1/2 hours after school both of my working days. I have worked in other primary and junior schools and worked a similar work pattern in my last school but didn't have to nor feel the need to work quite so much at home. I also didn't need to put in so many hours after school either. I'd like to hear how other teachers tackle their work life balance, especially if you are also PT.

Ta, l_m :)

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Although some may do less, I wouldn't think the hours you are doing is that unusual. Sorry but I think this is the way it is now in most schools.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I think you are doing quite well there, especially only 2-4 hours at weekend. Most teachers in my school are there till 5 pm, a few are still there at 6 pm. (most arrive at 8 am)

4. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

I think at times you just have to put your foot down. I won’t work over the weekend, I don’t bring my laptop home. Things might not get done or things might be a hastily put together, but I’m not spending my weekend working.

5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

No time. I start work during the week at 7.30 a.m. and leave any time between 4 and 6 depending on essential workload on the day / having something else to do. Never take work with me out of school. It's a benefit of being in the independent sector, having a lot of experience and resources and being firm with time and workload management. I did work a lot more hours in my first 10 years on the job ...

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Soooo you have RE/French/PSHE all planned ready for the term.
    You do two days a week, so have two maths and English lessons to plan/prepare?
    And this takes you two to four hours ?????
    It does sound an awful lot of time to plan and prepare lessons.

7. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Sometimes teachers do spend far too long on resources. Not a criticism but true.

8. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

There's also a notion with teaching that if you are constantly working, you're working hard. This, of course, is garbage. Working smart is far more important. Working in education at this current time is very tough but teachers don't help themselves by either agreeing to the ridiculous expectation some Headteachers set or by allowing themselves a break. I feel for some, it's all about control. I've seen teachers spend hours and hours and hours working on displays, planning and resources to not get the same good outcomes as the teacher who leaves their laptop at school each night and doesn't work weekends. I accept the first couple years are harder as you collate planning and resources but it really should get easier...still hard but easier!

9. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

After a really big push on planning last year, my year partner and I are able to "tweak" maths and english planning within an hour each week. Although I'm retiring at the end of this academic year, he says he will do the same next year. Once done, it shouldn't be necessary to replan from scratch every year.