1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much time can you have off in NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fenukii, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 27 days over the course of an academic year is, I believe, the current stipulation (So 168 out of 195 days have to be completed).

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction is automatically extended once 30 days absence has been reached. In your son's case they have moved the completion on a term to accommodate his spring term absence

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If over the original one year Induction period the NQT is absent from work on 29 days or fewer, the Induction can be signed off at the originally planned time.
    If the absences total 30 days or more, the NQT needs to work 30 days after the originally planned nt time away from school on courses as your are still 'at work' then.finish date.
    Absences count as sick days and days off work for other reasons like funerals, looking after your own children etc. You do not count days away from school on courses as you are still 'at work' on those occasions.
    I'm not certain but I think that a day when you are at work but le ave early for whatever reason still counts as attendance for Induction purposes.

4. Hi
    As stated, 29 days off and the LA can, provided all the standards have been met, use their powers and pass the induction year on reduced time under the exceptional circumstances rule. 30 days or more means extending the induction period by the amount of time off provided the person is in the same school. If however they move schools it may well be that a full extra term is necessary. So provided he stays in the same school induction should be completed before Christmas. The person to contact is the LA NQT adviser.
    James

5. If the NQT is no longer employed at the same school and was absent for 30+ days during the induction period, is there a time limit in which this one-term extension needs to be completed? (Also, do the 30 days have to be in one term?) Thank you.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no time limit for completing Induction.
    If you are no longer in the same school where you missed 30+ days, you will have left with only two Induction terms completed and will need to serve a full Induction term elsewhere.
    Induction terms can start at any point in a school term, as long as the employment is intended to last until at least the same point in the next term.

7. Thank you, jubilee. I was unclear in my initial post - I meant 30 days' absence being in one term for the induction period to be extended. Is the 30 days absence in one term or the whole induction period of 3 terms?

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Whole induction period x

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

30 days per term would be almost half the year ;-) x