1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much support does an NQT receive during induction?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by petrapan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I think I'm having a crisis of confidence.
    My first two teaching practices went swimmingly, I achieved outstanding for both and loved every minute. I'm undertaking my final TP now, am around half way through, and so far I've hated it. My mentor is supportive but my class teacher is very critical, and I feel I've lost all my confidence and actually deteriorated as a teacher. My class teacher is nice, but she doesn't realise how difficult I'm finding the cricitism as she intends it to be helpful- but for example, she has stopped my lessons in front of children to advise me or take over, she tells me I'm doing things wrong but doesn't give me advice on improvement, expectsn me to do everything the way she does but sometimes that doesn't come naturally to me etc. It's difficult as the last thing I want to do is confront her about it, she's trying to help but she's never had a student before and I'm aware that she's finding it frustrating. I think she probably thinks I'm a bit incompetent now because I've lost so much confidence that I'm constantly asking for advice about every tiny decision in case I'm doing things "wrong" [​IMG] .
    I guess what I need to know is how much advice and support I can expect if I managed to secure a post for September.I feel this TP has been difficult and I haven't had the chance to experience many of the things I was hoping to, such as using APP to assess and target setting. It's also very difficult to gather evidence of how children with SEN are working because they're just taken out by support staff and the class teacher doesn't seem to know much about their IEPs herself- it's all dealt with by the TAs, which I find quite unusual. I'm really worried that I'll go in to my first job and look like a complete fool because I'll need to ask so many questions.

Some things that have bothered me are:
    Will I need to write my own timetable or is this already done?
    How will I know how the school want me to record assement and targets etc, will I receive policy documentation for the school to work with?
    Will I have a proper induction where I can raise any issues or will it just be a matter of being thrown in the deep end on the first day?
    Will I have any support or guidance with ability grouping and when to do it or is it just something that will fall into place?

Sorry for all the questions, I feel I've been eyed as some sort of half soaked idiot at times on my TP when I know I CAN be a competent teacher in the right environment [​IMG]. I thought it was a good thing to ask questions but my questions seem to be irritating the staff, who seem to think I should automatically know everything about how the school operates and how to teach.

2. (sorry, excuse typos, it's very late!)

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I think it is totally dependent on the school!!! I had a very successful time on training and loved both schools and mentors. However, I have not been so successful in my NQT year. My year group partner is fab but my SLT observations began very critical and so my confidence deteriorated in a similar way to how you describe.
    Things are better now, I am regaining confidence and getting back into the swing of things, had a decent observation and some positive feedback which is always a boost. I think that observations will always be subjective depending on the observer and this can affect the outcome (e.g. my placement school refused to use stickers or rewards other than praise and I got used to working like this, yet my current school picked be up on not using physical rewards in my lessons!)
    You should get the policies before you start or very close to the beginning of term depending on how organised they are and as for timetable, you might put it together as a year group if you are in a 2+ form entry, or your phase leader might do it. I shouldn't imagine you would have to do it by yourself from scratch with no support.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction is statutory so the same basic principles applies to all schools.Support should be planned and discussed and appropriate to your needs. TDA website has guidance on induction and the full legal framework is on teachernet. Induction is not like training in that you have your own classes and you are responsible for teaching them. The amount of planning and information does depend upon the school/department. Some places have induction days- early start arrangements.This is the sort of information you should seek out during the selection process and be wary of places where you feel you will not receive a proper induction- look for the right environment. The hard edge to induction is that a fail debars you from teaching in the state sector
    If you are having problems with the TP raise them with your tutor do not suffer in silence.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In my school you would get whatever support you wanted/needed. If that was almost none, then your mentor would step back and let you free. If you want someone to totally lean on and ask about everything, then you would be able to do that as well. Non-one would mind which you wanted as long as you were effectively teaching your class and managing the workload.

Would you write your own timetable. To a point yes, but that is a good thing, don't let it panic you. In my school (in KS2) maths, ICT, PE, French and RE and some phonics/spelling would be set in place for you and you then fill in the rest. If you were happy doing it alone then you could, but most people write theirs with their year group partner to allow for team teaching sometimes.

We would show you how to record assessments and targets and work with you initially until you got the hang of it. Partly it would be your year group partner as a team effort and partly your phase leader as monitoring and partly your mentor for support.

Yeps you would get a fair bit of induction before your first day. Generally NQTs visit in the summer before the end of term. You can ask questions then. You would also get an email address from your mentor where you can ask anything at any time over the holidays. The first day or two in Sept are always training days and you, along with all new staff, get our school induction training then.

For ability groups you would be given the levels from the previous teacher, so it is then up to you how you want to group your children. You could ask for help from your mentor if you wanted to or not. Either would be fine.

You really will be fine. Keep going on this placement. Try and get a September post before it finishes so you can legitimately write both your last placements as references.

Automatically knowing stuff can be a frustration for all staff new to a school, not just NQTs!