1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much sleep?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by beyondexcited, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hello,
    My LO is 20 weeks now and I was wondering how much sleep she should be having in 24 hours? I did google it and it said around 18 hours but this seems like a lot!
    Its just that she sleeps a lot during the day....and this is after a 12 hour sleep at night! I hope I dont annoy those with babies who dont sleep as I had around 12 weeks of very poor sleep, so I do know what it feels like. But......she goes to bed approx 7.30, is dreamfed at 10.30 and generally wakes up around 7. She can wake a few times in night for dummy, but doesnt need another feed. But Im a bit worried she is sleeping a lot recently. Today for example she went back in cot after breakfast for an hour, then a 40 min nap on couch after dinner and she has been flat out on pillow next to me for an hour and half!
    It may be nothing or she may be going through growth spurt but I just wanted some advice if this is normal or should I be trying to keep her awake (we do play a lot, go out for walks etc), even though she does sleep well at night....aaarrgghh its so blooming confusing be a mammy!
    Thanks

2. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

My LO is almost five months old and tends to sleep through from 8pm-7am and then have an hour nap in the morning and one-two hours in the afternoon. I have no idea what the norm is though!
    x

3. Hi, I think all babies are different in terms of sleep needed but in my humble opinion I'd say your LO is pretty normal! My LO is 9 months now and still sleeps 12 hours at night and between 2 and 3 hours in the day. At the age your LO is at, he'd go to bed at 7, have a dreamfeed at 11ish then sleep through until 7am. He'd then have a nap of about 45 mins in the morning, up to 2 hours after lunch and about 30 mins late afternoon. Enjoy it! x

4. Thanks for your replies.
    You are right about all babies being different but my best friend has a LO 6 weeks older than Maisie and hers doesnt sleep at all during day...and never has! I suppose I should be thanking my lucky stars and not questioning it!
    x

5. handrail

handrail New commenter

Very very jealous... my next baby will be a good sleeper :eek:)
    I'm sure it's normal, enjoy xx

6. I agree with Handrail, think yourself lucky! My LO often goes whole days with just the odd 20 min nap on me. She then gets v overtired. From what I've read, 12 hours at night and then about 3 or 4 in the day is perfectly normal.