1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much should I get paid as an NQT supply teacher?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ed-fuse, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ed-fuse

ed-fuse New commenter

Hi, what are the average NQT and M1 rates are for the London and surrounding areas? Many thanks!!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There isn't, never has been, a specific may rate for NQTs. When there were national payscales M1 - M6 it was usual to pay NQTs on M1, ie the minimum of the Mainscale teacher pay range. There are no national pay scales any longer. There is only the minimum and maximum of the Main Pay Range [MPR] given in STPCD (and that only applies to LA schools and academies who have adopted STPCD pay rates. Where a school decides to pay someone on MPR is up to them. They should have there own pay policy that explains what they will do.

NQT is likely to be paid at the minimum of the MPR.

That's for permanent staff though.

Pay ranges are irrelevant for supply teachers if you being employed through an agency. You'll be offered as little as they think they can get away with. Do some research on the Supply teaching forum, there are lots of threads about supply teacher pay.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and BetterNow like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Reading posts on the supply forum, this often seems to be the case.:(

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some agencies think an appropriate starting salary for a teacher is nothing!

agathamorse and BetterNow like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

There is a reverse to this true statement
    "You'll be offered as much as you can push for"
    Catch is you don't know the state of the market and how shortage the subject you offer is. But if you register with 5 or 6 agencies then one of them will come through at any given time.

I'm currently on £195 per day* offering secondary maths/science, medium/long-term in West Yorkshire. This isn't down to my supreme teaching skills but the fact it's me or nobody. I'm also well versed at saying "I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't really accept that". Also I can afford a few weeks unemployment so I'm not scared to push. One day this view will come and bite me but I've been near-continuous employed since Jan 2017.

*to my shame I still haven't escaped Umbrella companies so this works out at just under £125 take home.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

… and that you aren't an NQT....

Incidentally @ed-fuse you know that for a NQT a supply post of less than one term does not count towards induction period?

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.