1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much should I expect?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TexanTeacher2013, Oct 11, 2018.

1. TexanTeacher2013

TexanTeacher2013 New commenter

Hello experienced expats,

I'm an American teacher with 6 years of experience teaching intermediate English/LanguageArts, and I have a B.Ed and an M.Ed. Last summer, I was offered 13k AED to teach at a tough school in Dubai. They informed me that schools in Dubai do not pay much more regardless of experience or degrees. I declined the position because I truly I didn't think it was enough. My question, what is an acceptable range of compensation (AED) based on my education and experience. I don't want to low ball myself, but neither seem arrogant. Additionally, I have an upcoming interview in China, so this question applies to CYN as well.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

You can't just look at the basic salary - you need to take into account the whole package and also the overall cost of living. I can see how that salary in Dubai might not go far, but in China the equivalent amount of RMB would actually be quite comfortable. Also, in China there are a number of parts of your package which are there to avoid (legally) paying tax, although the government is closing those loopholes over time.

In total, I'd say you should be looking at a minimum of 250,000RMB per year in actual salary, with other benefits such as housing (usually around another 130 - 150,000RMB p.a.), health insurance, etc being added on to that. Both my wife & I have a package which is based around that and we are able to live comfortably on one salary (even with a teenager) while sending another home.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

13,000 in Dubai is quite poor and also has to be taken into account along with the rest of the package. As this was also in a tough school,you were correct in declining the offer IMHO

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Where in China is the school, as the package depends on which city you will be working. Shanghai has the highest rates of pay at the moment.

5. TexanTeacher2013

Thank you. This helps tremendously!!

6. TexanTeacher2013

Ok. Thank you.

7. TexanTeacher2013

Which province in china are you and your wife located?

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I agree it was probably a good move to turn it down, but I'm not sure 13k is quite poor in Dubai anymore. I know teachers at some very prestigous schools who earn less and many at 'lower teir' schools who are getting 9-11k a month - all include housing though some of the 9-11K teachers are sharing o_O

9. LCass

LCass New commenter

It really depends where you are. I live in Shanghai and have a decent salary and am saving but not nearly as much as I did in Oman. I was on about RMB 70 000 less a year there but ended up saving almost twice as much. In Shanghai, I would not accept anything under RMB 300 000 and look closely at the package that comes with it - it can be a very expensive place to live!

10. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter