1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How much should I charge for travelling costs?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by PlymouthMaid, Mar 31, 2011.

  1. PlymouthMaid

    PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

    HM revenues approved mileage rate is 40p per mile. It needs to cover wear on tear on your vehicle as well as petrol costs.
  2. hhhh

    hhhh Star commenter

    If you are charging, check your insurance covers you for business. And I think it might be taxable. If you claim child credits etc, all needs to be put on form.
    It can all work out quite expensive to charge them!
  3. One approach I was looking into (if I ever get motivated enough to set myself up a proper website and market aggressively instead of via word of mouth) was to "band" what I charge for a session according to distance away from my home to try to reduce the hit I take financially when travelling further afield. Don't know if I'll ever go down this road, it's something I've got as an idea mulling away on the back burner - at present I take pupils based on a combination of geographic distance, pain in the backside journey factor (so I'll travel into the next city, but not to the other side of this city since you don't seem to be able to go 100 yards without a traffic jam) and the initial phonecall with the parents and if I feel I can build up a rapport with them and their child... highly scientific - not!

Share This Page