1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much should adult children living at home pay for their keep?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mattie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. The question is in the thread title really.

Our son is about to start work for real. To our relief, he hae proved to be very responsible with money as a student and the idea is that he will come back to live at home in order to save all he can towards a house. We want to charge a realistic amount, so that he learns to pay his own way. But we really are clueless about how much to ask for. We don't want him to pay rent (unless he shows no sign of saving for the house!) just his keep.

How do those of you with adult children living at home calculate what to charge them? Or how do those of you living at home calculate what to pay? I really have no idea at all and would be grateful for your advice.

Mattie

2. The question is in the thread title really.

Our son is about to start work for real. To our relief, he hae proved to be very responsible with money as a student and the idea is that he will come back to live at home in order to save all he can towards a house. We want to charge a realistic amount, so that he learns to pay his own way. But we really are clueless about how much to ask for. We don't want him to pay rent (unless he shows no sign of saving for the house!) just his keep.

How do those of you with adult children living at home calculate what to charge them? Or how do those of you living at home calculate what to pay? I really have no idea at all and would be grateful for your advice.

Mattie

3. My mam and dad charged me rent about the equivalent to a flat around here... £400 a month

I thought that was really fair as I didnt pay anything else like food etc. It wasnt till i got my own place that I realised that my mam had been putting half of what I payed her in the bank for me so I had a lump sum to buy stuff for my own place

4. I paid about £50 a week a few years ago.

5. i used to pay 25 quid a week a couple of years ago

6. I pay a 100 pounds a month-your only young once and should make the most of the opportunity to have a bit of money and live a little (mums words not mine)maybe i just have reasonable parents?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

As the parent of two adult children and one grandchild all living with me the correct answer is 'MORE'.

Whatever you ask for is unlikely to reflect the real cost of them living with you.

I wish I could afford it!

8. My kid spent a third, saved a third and gave me a third of his income.

He gave me it ungrudgingly and unbeknown to him I slammed my third into the bank every month so that when he eventually managed to buy his shoe box of an appartment, it paid for new carpets and curtains.

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

1/3 of take home pay is what i was chareged. i resented it at the time but my parents were spot on! it helps teach you the value of money and when buying a place of your own the experience is invaluable.

ie. 1/3 seems a lot
    then try buying your own place!xx

10. Before I moved out 2 years ago I paid my parents £60 a month to live at home, which meant I could save about £300ish a month towards the cost of my flat. It would be pretty hard for anyone to save a lot if they were having to pay the equivalent of rental somewhere else, surely that defeats the point.

11. Nothing :D

they should be allowed to cadge off their parents!

12. PS He didn't know I was banking it, he thought he was paying rent. If ever I'd been skint though I'd have raided it

13. Does no one else have parents who wouldn't dream of taking rent off them then?

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I think a third of their income is absolutely fair.

15. That is a lot of money though!

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

It would cost a lot to live outside. Adults should get used to it!

17. My parents bless them don't ask me for any housekeeping. I love living at home, but am looking forward to moving out.

18. Phoenixchild

agree with ils, as a kid/young adult you resent it.

fair play to my parents with hindsight!xx

:)

19. It doesn't cost a lot to live outside when you get married! ;-)

20. Phoenixchild

it does if you're the main earner!xx

:)

my hubs a postie on about £16,000, mine is main wage.xx