1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much should a 16 month old be talking?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by biodust, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I'm concerned about my LO's ability to speak v what the baby books say he should be doing. He is able to say about 6 words clearly - however he says them very infrequently. Some days he doesn't say anything clear at all. He babbles loudly and frequently, I think he's trying to say words and understands a fair amount of things that we say to him e.g. if we tell him to get his Piplings book he goes and gets the right book out of his toybox. Should I be worried or is this normal? In terms of crawling, walking etc he's always been pretty average for my NCT group at starting them (crawling 7 months, walking 12 months) but the others seem to be saying more words and more often than my LO. I read at least 4 books a day (he loves books) and talk to him as much as possible. Sorry for lack of paragraphs on google chrome

2. At 22 months my Dd could say mamama dadad no and a strange word that was her name. (she did sign prolifically though..) all her friends said more words and all copied words you said to them but not my DD.
    She babbled constantly and understood what we said. the HV told us at 18 months to leave it till she was 2 and see...
    By 2 she was speaking in sentences and now she is 3 and a half she never stops and has an amazing vocab!

3. I think it really varies greatly so try not worry. My girl (19 months) was very late walking (17 months) but is now saying three word sentences like ' come here mummy', 'look big bus' etc. However, my friend's boy who is the same age only says 'dada' and nothing else. He walked early ish. I think give it until he is two and then see if he has a few more words. I know other people who have been in the same situ as you but baby has suddenly come out with something like 'drink please now!' and they just take off with their talking very spontaneously.

4. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

there is a huge range of normal as already said. My first was only saying about 40 words at 2 and at 2.4 hadn't progressed much. by 3 she was holding small conversations on just about anything.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Just had two year check-apparently the 'danger' is if at two years they can say fewer than 7 words-that was from our Health Visitor, so she says you no need to worry. Traditionally boys struggle with talking more than girls BUT the bestchild speaker I know is a boy, I swear at 26 months he could pass a SL GCSE!
    And just spoke to someone whose daugther didn't speak till 3-she's now one of the best in her reception class.
    Really, don't worry, just keep doing what you are doing. You do get th pushy mums who demand a speech therapist becuse their little darling has to be the top-seriously, some parents now are so competitive and lie at everything-I know for a fact some mums and dads exaggerate things. Shame we feel we have to I guess.

6. Sure your little one is fine- it can make you feel terrible if you have a later talker, walker or crawler- I am sure most of us have met someone who likes to tell us of their 'advanced' offspring. They are all different in their development- by the time they are 4 you can not tell who spoke first, who walked first.
    It is hard being a parent of a toddler as we constantly compare ourselves to others, are made to feel what we are doing is wrong.
    Try not to worry- your child is perfectly normal!

7. He really does sound completely normal to me. My 23 month old said no real words until she was 15 months and has really come on since then - she was an early walker so had no real reason to talk!
    Ignore the competitive mummies, and don't believe everything they say anyway. I know someone who was constantly going on about her one year old talking in sentences, he was just babbling, it was a load of rubbish.

8. As long as he's babbling and you are getting a variety of sounds that's ok.
    As others have said see how he's doing at 2 and what progress he's made. Even then you might just keep an eye on things for another couple of months.
    I usually suggest to the settings that I work with that between 2 and 2 and a bit is the 'keeping an eye-on' and trying to support stage 2.5 is the 'think we might need to do something' stage (even then this can be a little early for late bloomers but I would always say better to be a little over cautious than wait and wait and wait! - though I know some would disagree).