1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much PPA time?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hurny, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hurny

hurny New commenter

I am interested to find out how much PPA time other Reception class teachers get per week. I currently get 2 hours and have 25 hours a week contact time. I would appreciate it if anyone can let me know what they get as I don't think I'm getting my full entitlement.
    Thanks.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.teachers.org.uk/files/active/0/PPA_207sq3996.pdf
    How much PPA time will I receive?
    PPA time must be set as a minimum of 10
    per cent of a teacher’s timetabled teaching
    time but not of other directed time. The
    time spent teaching would be reduced
    accordingly. The way in which PPA is
    implemented will vary between schools
    and, in particular, between primary and
    secondary schools.

Primary Schools
    Many primary teachers with no
    additional management responsibilities
    do not currently have a regular
    timetabled allocation of non-contact
    time. Apart from other forms of
    directed time, such as collective acts of
    worship, primary school teachers
    generally spend the whole week
    teaching particular classes. If you fall
    into this category, you will be entitled
    to a minimum of 10 per cent of the
    time you spend teaching your class, as
    PPA time. In most cases this entitlement
    will correspond to approximately 2.5
    hours or half a day per week.

3. Now that I teach in the Nursery I need to be in the room from 8.15 (when our children can arrive from), and stay till 4.30pm (when our extended hours finish). I am only allowed a 30 minute break for Lunch - does this mean my teaching time is 8.15 - 4.30 minus 30 mins. If so then my teaching time is 7 hours 45 mins. Would that mean my PPA should be 10% of this? I make that to be 45 mins a day.

I'm finding it very difficult to work these hours - no breaks, no assemblies etc and would love to know if you can acrue more than 30 mins a day.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

PPA is calculated on your actual teaching hours ...so yes

5. Can't see that going down well with SMT!! It's hard enough to get out for 30 mins, never mind increasing my PPA by 2 hrs 15 mins for the 3 days i work. Thanks Msz

6. hurny

hurny New commenter

Anyone else?

7. I teach reception and get every Monday afternoon (1pm - end of day at 3:10pm) as ppa, although I could choose to start my ppa work during the lunch break from 12-1pm. We used to have ppa in a morning too but it changed this year. I'm eyfs leader too even though mine is the only eyfs class in the school and I get management time for roughly one morning each half term in addition to my weekly ppa. I think having a whole afternoon is a good amount of time. The only problem for me is that we have staff meetings on a Monday so I can't carry on working once the school day has finished, but that's me being very picky!

8. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I am obviously being shfted with my ppa, then!
    My children arrive at 8.50, go for lunch at 12.15 and I am required to eat with them until they go onto the yard at 12.45. School day finishes at 3.15
    I get no breaks, my children do not attend assemblies.
    So, I reckon my teaching day is almost 5.5 hrs a day. 27.5 hrs per week
    Instead of the 2hrs ppa I'm currently getting, should I be getting nearer 3?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Get union advice and go, well armed, to your HT.
    Good luck and tell us what happens!

10. Thanks for the support Inky. I have contacted the union in the past and they have said they would come in to support me, it's just that i keep being promised that things will be different and steps have been taken to get additional staff. We have just had a really bad run of staffing problems which coincided with starting extended hours. Another new member of staff is due to start after February Half Term so I hope to get back to a 8.45 - 3.15 contact time basis. I can live with it till then, but it's good to know i'm due and have accrued a great bank of PPA for future weeks!!!

11. Hi, I am the EYFS leader at our school - we have two reception classes, a Nursery and a new 2-3 year old provision.
    The Nursery day runs from 8:45am-11:45am and 12:15pm-3:15pm with all Nursery staff getting 30 mins lunch (although when short staffed or children get picked up late this does prove a problem). The Nursery teacher gets 3 hours PPA a week - this year it is an afternoon a week, but previous years we have alternated each term between morning and afternoon so the same children don't miss out on teacher contact time. I also encouage the teacher to take a 10 minute break in the morming and 10 minutes in the afternoon, although again sometimes this is impossible what with staff ratios.
    The rest of the school day runs 9am-3pm with lunch being 12-1pm. All other teacher have 2 hours PPA a week and as EYFS leader I get a whole morning every week as my management time. I know I am very lucky, but I'm not actually sure what I'd do without it! I always have a huge ist of things to get through!

12. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

Can I ask...this week I had
    45mins PPA on tuesday afternoon
    30mins wednesday afternoon, then 45mins on Friday afternoon.

Is it acceptable for PPA to be split in such a way?

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes, it is OK. PPA has to be a minimum of 30 minutes per session, so you have one seesion at the minimum and two that surpass it.