1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much PPA or NQT time do you get in your school?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by BB2009, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Thank you for your reply, I too thought that each PPA session has to be a minimum of 30mins. Am I right in saying that 10% of a full-time teaching amounts to 2.5 hours of PPA per week? Can anything be done if you only get 1 hour 45 mins PPA time per week plus all the Assembly non-contact times? Or should I just grin and bear it?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I get 1.5hrs ppa and the same NQT, have to be present in all assemblies and get no other non contact. I expect you could contact your union but who wants to do that and be labelled a trouble maker when everyone else seems to grin and bear it :D!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Sorry should specify - I meant in my case, everyone else in my school gets on with it so I would not want to be the one to rock the boat, I read it back and thought that it read a bit like I was telling you to grin and bear it because others in your position do!!!

4. Thanks cally1980 for your replies, it's a tricky situation.... I don't want to rock the boat as everyone else seems to go along with this! In other schools, I've always had a whole afternoon for PPA time before and now I get it in two sessions amounting to 1hr 45mins in this school?!?

5. Hi James,
    I have just been allocated my PPA and NQT time on the same day - I have from 10.45 til 3.15 on a Tuesday.
    I am a Primary NQT, I just wondered whether this is enough of the time that I am entitled to? I am struggling to do the maths!
    Many thanks, J

6. Hi
    not sure if it depends on your local authority.
    But you are supposed to get 10% PPA time and 10% NQT time, be careful as if you dont sort it at the beginning some schools can get away with not giving you the correct time.
    some schools count the time you are our on NQT courses as your NQT time.

kx