1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much playground duty do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by razziegyp, Jun 28, 2011.

1. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

We do one morning break a week. My headteacher said at his wife's school the teachers don't do any and I just wondered how common that was?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4 mornings (Mon Tues Thurs & Fri ) and 4 afternoons (Mon Tues Wed & Thurs)

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

once a week, before school, at break and after school.

4. We do two break duties each. One morning and one afternoon. We are also on duty for 15 mins before the children start in the morning on one day and at the gate to see them safely collected on one afternoon a week.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

plus 5 mornings before school and gate duty each night except when it is my PPA

6. none - we have trained play leaders at lunch and TAs at break.

it's bliss

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

One break a week.

No before or after school duties as such, but we are expected to be on the playground until all children are collected and take them to reception after a reasonable amount of time every day.

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

One break a week, and we are on the playground from 8.45am and after school until the last child is collected (at 3.30 we take them to the office).

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I do 30 mins one lunchtime a week.

10. Three in total - before school, break and bus duty.

11. one 15 min playtime duty a week

12. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

5 morning, 5 afternoon, in the summer term this reduces to 3 morning and 5 afternoons. Every day check kids go to parents and wait around for all to go.

13. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

One day a week, before school and 2 break times.

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

At least 1.5 hrs every morning in all weathers, but then I am in EYFS! I prefer outdoors, but hate traditional playground duty in KS1 and 2 and all the winging about who has hurt who, fallen out with who etc never mind death by football. Each Teacher and TA does 2 x20 min duty a week in the rest of the school. Dont have pm play but would mean everyone doing 2 each in pm as well if we did as smallish school. Our school insists on having 1 teacher out each day which I find laughable as whilst they wont leave trained TAs on their own, we do let untrained Lunch supervisors have them for much longer! If we could use more TAs, teachers wouldnt have to do as many.

15. 2 15min playtimes, either morning or afternoon, although I prefer an afternoon.

16. one morning and an afternoon a week plus an extra afternoon every third week.

17. Maybe this should be a a new thread but as it's on the subject of playground duty thought I would ask here. Are you allowed a coffee/trip to the loo/ or any other break after/before your duty? We are expected to go back to the classroom and drink water once we have done a duty.

18. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have safety cups and 2 staff so one can go to the toilet. All staff come out with their kids until duty staff arrive so duty staff can nip to the loo before play and TAs can supervise for a few mins after if need be as each class has a TA.

19. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Although I think a toilet break is reasonable I think it is a bit silly to worry about tea/coffee. Can you really not survive a couple of hours (max) without one?

20. I am on duty for 5 15min breaks a week. It has increased am I am certainly feeling the strain!