1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much planning and lesson prep should I be doing?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by jbickerdike, Jul 19, 2017.

1. jbickerdike

jbickerdike New commenter

I am about to return to work doing 3 days after maternity leave. How much planning and prep should I have to do? When I returned from having my son last time I did 4 days and was expected to plan and prep everything for the person covering my day off. I am due to meet my HT to discuss going back this time and I'm not prepared to do 5 days worth of work for 60% of the pay. Can anyone advise me how much I should be planning/preparing?

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

60%.
    You shouldn't have accepted planning and prep for the fifth day last year, unless you were being given extra PPA to allow for this.

You should, by now, know who you will be sharing your class with, and some KIT time this week with this person, to discuss timetable and how you will split curriculum and planning, would be very sensible. You might split topics and do all the planning for your topics, or you might run things through the whole week with one of you planning each subject for both of you. Which you choose might depend on how you both tend to plan.