1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much paperwork for KS2 parents evening?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thanhhungone, Jan 15, 2016.

1. thanhhungone

thanhhungone New commenter

Hello folks,

A few years ago our old HT of our primary suggested that we should give parents, at Autumn and Spring term parents evening, a word processed pro forma on a piece of paper which had

effort levels

academic levels which included previous term and end of year targets

and personalised written targets

for Reading Writing and Maths.

We teach mixed y5 and 6 classes, and mix these classes as we set for maths. We write a maths report to be read (at each meeting) to the parent for pupils not in our class for maths.

Oh- and we also have to produce a word processed report for all class pupils which includes useful family/ friendship info to be shared at phase group hand-over on the first day of September term.

We stay for an open evening in early September where everyone is invited to meet us, because the official Parents Evening is in November.

Is everyone doing this? I don't go away at half term any more but I don't want to stick my neck out and ruffle feathers if preparing this kind of paperwork/report is common practice and expected these days.

What do you do in KS2?

TEA2111 likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Are you in a union?

Parental consultation
    The NASUWT recommends that teachers should only attend one parental consultation per year for each year group. These meetings should be counted as directed time and identified in the calendar of meetings.

In a week where there is a parental consultation meeting scheduled, no other meeting should be calendared to take place.

Pupil reports
    Reports to parents, including comments from teachers, need only be made once per year.

Where they have not done so, schools should consider introducing an electronic system for generating reports, which includes a database of standard phrases that can be tailored to suit most circumstances. There is little point in seeking to be original in every report or going beyond a crisp concise format.

Interim reports requiring written comments from teachers should not be undertaken. If the school determines an interim report is required, then it should be capable of being electronically generated from information/data the teacher has recorded once in the agreed assessment system.

Time should be identified in the directed time calendar for producing reports. Some schools use one of the non-pupil days for this.

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Of your list, in 30+ years in primary, I had to produce precisely.....none. We had a 'hand-over meeting' in July to brief new teacher of any issues (friendship, etc) & occasionally it was easier to write stuff down anyway. But it was whatever worked for us.

Where children were taught by other teachers for maths / English, those parents had a 5 minute appointment with the relevant teacher(s) as well as the usual 10 minutes with class teacher. So - longer parents' evenings versus writing reports.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is a shame that what the NASUWT recommends has no basis in reality. If you are under STPCD, then parents' evenings do count as directed time, and should be identified in the budget. I was in Secondary, so up to 7 sets of reports a year - there was never any directed time for them, much as I would have appreciated it. I agree that what you have been asked for seems OTT, but I think the school are within their rights to ask for it. Of course, it could mean you having less time for more important tasks.

TEA2111 likes this.
  5. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

What about two parent consultations for one child because the parents are divorced and don't want to come together?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would be VERY wary of doing this.

If it fell into the wrong hands, (and a parent would be entitled to see it) this could be dynamite and blow up in your face.

Best wishes

7. grumpydogwoman

I always acted in accordance with NASUWT instructions. No problem. So their recommendations certainly do have a basis in reality and, until my retirement in 2013, I stuck to them to the absolute letter.

Open Evenings are voluntary.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

In addition to what others have said, this is another example of how tasks get duplicated. Not only are parents given a full written report twice a year but now you are expected to give them another one for parents' evenings. This happened at my last school, on top of which we had to provided written notes in advance, on what issues were going to raise with each set of parents and our responses to anticipated questions. Daft.

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Please tell me that isn't so! Sadly I suspect it is.

10. grumpydogwoman

No, no, no, no.

"Hello, how are you? And how do YOU think Evangelina-Marie is doing? Do you have any concerns? Does she enjoy coming to school?"

And then, should YOU have a concern. you say your bit.

chelsea2 likes this.