1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much, on a scale of 1 to 10 does having a tattoo hurt?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 8, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've seen them too and agree with Para, they are stunning works of art.
    Again....I could have written this post. Mine are on my spine and were done in my late 40s. Yes, it hurt. They can only be seen when I am in a bikini and I can't see them, so they won't bother me when I'm in my 80s (and they won't bother anyone else either as I won't be wearing a bikini then!). Mr Belle loves them.
    Interestingly I was on hiliday in Antigua 18 months ago and some Japanese tourists took great interest in my tattoos (they are in Japanese). They photographed them and asked if I knew what they said. I do know but asked them to translate for me and they were 100% accurate. Just as well really as the tattooist could have written anything I guess!

2. The pain is like getting a cigarette burn on your skin.

3. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I've had 5 now and once I got used to the sensation, I really quite enjoyed it! When my back was being done I very nearly fell asleep! An upper leg//bikini wax is far more painful, IMO.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Not that much pain then. I guess those interrogated by the Gestapo had an easier time than I'd previously imagined.
    Perhaps the Nazis, in tattooing numbers on the wrists of their Jewish captors were doing them a kindness? Would they have been seen in a different light had they used Japanese numerals and adding a discrete dove with an olive branch in its beak?

5. I don't have a tattoo but I do have broken veins on the backs of my legs, and having chosen a dress for my son's wedding that shows them, had a look on camouflage make-up websites. Most of the [osts are not from older women wishing for professional reasons to hide a lapse of judgement from their younger days, but from young women with the names of ex-lovers or about to enter professions where their errrr.... artwork will need to be covered at the employer's wish.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hence my 'artwork' is in Japanese and is no-one's name!

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

<a target="_blank">http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zq1gj/Rhod_Gilberts_Work_Experience_Series_2_Tattooist/[/URL]

It's here. Everything you need to know.