1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much of the year do I have to have worked to move up MPS?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Airmail, Jun 8, 2011.

1. If I get a job starting Sept or after can I expect MPS2 as I have worked from Sept till Easter on a fixed term contract this school year on MPS1 and completed my NQT, which I started as MPS1 in Sept 2007 when I only worked for one term - for personal reasons I didn't do any paid teaching between these posts.
    I seem to remember reading that teaching two full terms would make me qualify to move up but I can't recall where I read that. Anyone know for certain?

2. If I get a job starting Sept or after can I expect MPS2 as I have worked from Sept till Easter on a fixed term contract this school year on MPS1 and completed my NQT, which I started as MPS1 in Sept 2007 when I only worked for one term - for personal reasons I didn't do any paid teaching between these posts.
    I seem to remember reading that teaching two full terms would make me qualify to move up but I can't recall where I read that. Anyone know for certain?

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

You need to have worked twenty six weeks for the Local Authority not a Supply Agency in one year.If you worked Sept 2010 to April 2011 ,that would have been twenty six weeks. If you are working for the same LA ,then speak to Pay Department to check out your Service.This will also ensure your new school pays you MPS2.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Passing Induction is irrelevant to pay progression. Someone on a 0.2 contract, working one day per week, paid by the LA, would take 5 years to complete Induction and wouldbe on M5 in their last Induction school year and eleigile to apply for Threshold the following school year.
    ThE 26 week LA employment (minimum) mewntioned by your first responder is correct.
    If on a contract with school/LA, you can count calendar weeks when on paid holiday or when on sick leave as well as weeks in school.
    If on daily paid supply or casual emplyment through the LA, you only count calendar weeks when you spent some time teaching in a school.
    A 'week' for these purposes doe not have to be a full-time week; part-time teaching in any calendar week counts as one week of the 26 required.
    Someone teaching for 25 full-time weeks in a school year (75 days of teaching) will not automatically progress on the payscale. Someone teaching 26 days only, with each day in a separate school week, will go up the payscale.
    If your work is in more than one LA, you need to up-date each LA with your work tally in the other LA, so that each can see that you have had LA paid work in at least 26 weeks.
    You look at any LA paid work that you did between 1st September and 31st August, focussing on the weeks when employed (whether holiday or term-time) .

5. Thank you for your replies.
    I was employed by one LA from 1st Sept till 26 Apr so, on a quick count, that's 34wks including holidays and still over 26 without so I can move up to MPS 2 [​IMG]
    Now I've just got to get that next job ...and now back to filling in this application form that's taking me forever.