1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much of our personal stuff is on the web and available to others?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Aug 14, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm sure we all have few illusions about what personal data on us is on the web. But I have just been shocked when I found many (all?) of my camera pics are stored in something called "My album" on Utube.

Now, my phone is pay as you go, and I don't use it to surf or anything. Just a phone, a camera and wotsap strictly only with my family. (My wotsap pics are not on the Google album, just my phone camera album.) I have a google account on my PC so that I can view Utube, but at no time do I remember giving my mob phone number to anybody else other than my family and certainly not opening up utube on my phone. I am particularly Ludite with my phone and minimise my usage to others where I think my number may be used for cold calling. I get a few cold calls but compared to our landline, hardly anything.

I don't deliberately use cloud storage or anything like that so I am perturbed how my google account got hold of my mob number and then actually took my pictures without any permission from me. I expect my forum comments and my utube comments to be made public (forever!!) but at no time did I institute the access to my camera pictures. I am particularly careful when ticking boxes to allow access to my data but clearly something slipped past me, or (conspiracy) this album thing has been set up to deliberately pick up as much info as possible on people.

Big Brother is watching us and has been doing so for sometime now!

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Do you mean Youtube? On the back of your OP, I went and had a look and I can't see any "My Album" heading. It's all just videos I've watched, and recommended videos.

3. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I presume the answer to the question is "all of it".
    Good job I live such a blameless life.

HelenREMfan, TCSC47 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Actually it is a Google storage system (although they own you tube). Any photos you use on their sites can be held in such an account. However, if you aren't careful Google wil back images up to their storage
    It is easy to stop it happening by turning off back--up and sync in the Google photos app. See here
    I have that and other google intrusions disabled on my phones and tablet.

TCSC47 likes this.
  5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You don't need a Google account to be able to access Youtube.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Your "My Album" photos may not be publicly visible. In fact I think it's highly unlikely.

7. Didactylos4

I tested that theory a while back. Only the ones I deliberately made publicly available are publicly available. Everything else was locked in my account.

8. Didactylos4

True and also false :confused:;):D
    If you utilise the latest iterations of the Youtube app on Android phones you will need a Google account (though you can get around that as well)

9. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Some of you will know, I'm very private and you will struggle to find me on the net, apart from this forum. This is us as a family, too. Or so I thought.

Without going into details what we found on the web has torn my family apart. :(

Our friends think we are over zealous but now, I'm even more concerned.

Guard your privacy. It's priceless. And you can never get it back.

:(

wanet, Laphroig, TCSC47 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I was persuaded to become a governor at my school, which then became an academy, making me a trustee and director too - I was not best pleased to find that the information freely available online about the school's company directors includes their year of birth and salary details if they are also school employees: information that I would not have chosen to put online.

Edit. My son discovered by searching online that his dad's estranged father had died in his early sixties and sent for a copy of the death certificate, which showed that he had hanged himself. This had a very adverse effect on several family members, and I sometimes think it would have been better if his family had never known.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  11. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

That's how the animal rights terrorists got my brother's details.
    He worked at the time for a firm that made glass products some of which are used in microscopes, some of which are used by labs, some of which may have conducted experiments involving animals.
    Soft targets, directors.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Sorry, I wasn't clear. You can of course view utube without an account, but if you want to make comments on the videos you have to have an account. You can access your "backup" album through your personal page like here in the TES forum. But I know this is my bargain with the Devil, so I am not asking for any sympathy! It is just that it is very important to keep telling people in Yankland what a laughing stock of them all, The Donald is making. And Utube is the easiest access.

I am just wondering and worrying how Google managed to tie my phone to my google account and obtained access to something I had expected to be completely private. Indeed, having done my best to keep it so.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think if you go into your phone's settings you will discover it has some kind of cloud back up option which in factory settings is enabled.

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Cheers. That would explain how the photos from my mobile phone were accessed and I will try to explore my phone settings to stop it.

But the question remains HOW did Google link my mobile number to my google account!? That is what I am trying to explore here. HOW did they do it. My phone is pay as you go through EE and I only visit my google account on my desk top PC and have in fact not even visited Google on my phone, never mind accessed my google account on it. I have also never given my mobile number to anything online. I always use our landline when asked for a phone number. Where and how was the link made?

It tells me there is a lot more going on behind the scenes with metadata and other ways of collating our personal info than is being admitted to.

15. Didactylos4

Technically it doesn't. It merely links your account to the phone
    It's the same with any Android device
    I think the key will turn out to be the use of an app at some point that ties to your account.
    That is usually the way.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you are in any way paranoid about your online past, especially on forums, it's best not to look too hard at the Internet Archive.

They keep copies of billions of webpages going way back, so the online record isn't lost to posterity. If you've ever owned a website it's probably in there somewhere.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

This is what we would hope for and expect. My only problem is that I have worked along side some particularly talented IT people. I can visualise the scenario where some junior IT technician who has access to some form of cloud storage and writes some sort of procedure to hunt out, say, salacious pictures that have been loaded up into cloud. It is perfectly feasible. I took a sabbatical from teaching to work as a technician at a local university and they had a young lad in their departmental IT. He was clearly streaks ahead of his senior technicians and was producing admin software for the department that, it was clear to me, they couldn't completely follow. He was not a very mature lad and I would never have trusted him with sensitive information. So why would a cloud storage firm be any different? Are we not trusting these firms a little bit too much.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Apropos privacy, I need to point out that when I read the thread on avatars (currently up there on the page with this one) I cringed at how guileless some posters are.
    I'm sorry, that's not too kind a thing to say about some of you, but several people said that they use the same avatar for social media or other forum accounts.
    Durrrh.
    Three TES users instantly identifiable from their comments on that thread..
    Don't use the same avatar across accounts.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Quite! Just google your user name and see what you have written here and elsewhere. I make every attempt to be circumspect so don't have a problem with it. It is the principle that people are gaining access to my personal pictures and goodness knows what else without my permission certainly in the case of my phone pics.

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Even better is to find that my facebook is linked correctly if I put ina search for my real name, along wit all my friends and contact via tier face books.....so now I have to start screwing down somewhere.