1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much notice?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ceesaw, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ceesaw

ceesaw New commenter

I've found another teaching position and have verbally handed in my notice. I've now received my new contract but my new school would like me to start immediately after June half term as their new timetable starts then. They will wait until September but obviously it would be preferable if I start with my new classes in the last half term of the Summer Term. HR have indicated that my headteacher is unlikely to find this acceptable while other teachng staff have suggested that I only need to give half a term's notice anyway. Does anyone know for sure what the standard notice period is in a secondary state school?

2. End of May resignation for a September start. To finish at Easter you would need to resign by end of Feb, there isn't really a facility to resign for a summer half term start.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The head can exercise discretion and let you go at the end of May, but it is up to him or her.

4. ceesaw

ceesaw New commenter

Thanks for this. I imagine the answer will be September then!