1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much notice to retire?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by JulieMalone, Jul 17, 2020.

1. JulieMalone

JulieMalone New commenter

I am thinking of retiring at the end of March 2021 a few weeks before my 60th birthday. How much notice do I need to give my employer and Teachers Pensions to make sure everything will be in place for the big day?
    I don’t work in a school, but for a local city council as an advisory teacher So the process may be a little different.

Thanks in advance.

2. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

I guess it’ll be in your contract. If you’re in TP then I think you can start the process 6 months prior to retirement date but that info will be on their site too

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

Ring up the TP people. I found them to be really helpful and they can help you with your planning and what you can and cannot do.

4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

All depends on your contract. As a primary HT, it’s two terms, but I gave my notice to my CoG of my intent to retire in August 2020 back in October 2019 so that they had plenty of time to appoint a Headteacher for the school. Similar situation too, few months before my 60th!
    I’ve had the countdown on for the last year now, and the final day of term is Tuesday! Then, that’s my career in teaching done!

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

As a head, I had to give four months according to my contract but I gave them ten months so they had plenty of time to plan. Some say telling them early takes the pressure off. It does in some ways. I filled in the teachers pension form online at the beginning of the term I was leaving. This triggered a message to my local authority who contacted the school to check that I had resigned, the date and the acceptance from the school in writing as it was just before 60. The two letters I had were sufficient.

As you’re planning to go before 60, be aware of the rule that says the school could withhold permission for six months. Therefore I’d advise resigning at least six months before your finish date.

And yes, I used a countdown clock.

Morninglover likes this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Congratulations. Enjoy the next phase.

7. JulieMalone

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly do that.

8. JulieMalone

Thank you! Excited but a bit apprehensive as I do enjoy my job.

9. JulieMalone

Thanks for the advice. A countdown clock sounds like a good idea!

10. JulieMalone

Wow! Enjoy your retirement!

11. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

The 6 month rule is a little bizarre and I don't fully understand it..but..if you apply MORE than 6 months before the proposed retirement date it will be rejected:
    https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/employers/member-retirement/early.aspx

I believe that the 6 month rule applies if you want to still work for the same employer after you start to receive your pension. Of course you would need their consent for this as you have to cease employment for the day on which the pension starts but I still don't get why the employer can only defer it for 6 months...it almost sounds as though you can leave the job on a certain day and then go back forcing the employer to give you a second contract. I know a few Heads who would tell the teacher in that situation to sling their hook after the day came. If you are actually leaving then I don't believe the 6-month rule applies. (Page 122 of the regulations: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/990/made/data.pdf)

12. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

13. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

So I informed TP in March for an end of August retirement date. The La didn’t want to go any sooner than that ‘ in case there are any changes of employment or sickness’ . Presumably if you are in the last six months it doesn’t affect your TP contributions ?
    Any way I applied for ARB in March and received confirmation of amounts of lump sum and pension by 24 April which I thought was quite quick!
    Looking forward to getting it now in September and very relieved that I don’t have to go back to manage the second wave

14. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Back in January I decided it was time to go. I resigned at February half term to finish at the end of August. I could have left it later but wanted to give the school time to recruit ( shortage subject) I applied for my pension on 11th June and got confirmation of pension and lump sum on July 14th. Much quicker than I expected. Like littlevanner I am very pleased not to be in school dealing with what ever is coming this autumn

15. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter