1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much notice required?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kibosh, Sep 16, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Could someone please outline the procedure for handing in your notice for an unpromoted teaching post, when you have not yet been issued with a contract (verbal agreement only).
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Could someone please outline the procedure for handing in your notice for an unpromoted teaching post, when you have not yet been issued with a contract (verbal agreement only).
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

4 weeks.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In writing to the LA or school or both?
    Thank you, Dominie.

5. If you haven't got a contract, there's no need to give any notice. But out of courtesy, I probably would...

6. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

If the LA hasn't seen fit to issue any contract then they don't deserve the courtesy of 4 weeks notice. The reason they haven't issued one is that they know as employers they can let someone go without notice. Of course there is a reference to consider.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Some employing authorities are notoriously inefficient in such matters. However, it is reasonable to allow two - three weeks before receiving a contract. HR departements, even the most efficiient, are not miracle workers and have their own problems such as staff absence etc.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So 4 weeks notice in writing but to the LA, school or both?

9. What - you mean they don't have 'supply' clerks on half the pay to cover? [​IMG]
    Personally, I'd suggest acting as though you had a contract - which would undoubtedly stipulate 4 weeks. And as the LA are your employers, not the school, you really only need to advise them - although it would simply be a courtesy to advise the HT of your intentions.
    Or you could be like me - when I win the Euromillions tonight, I intend walking into school on Monday to hand over my badge/key/authority phone, and then walk out again without saying a word. [​IMG]

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would not even bother going back!

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hey! I'm winning it.
    Try telling my psycho PT that. Joking aside, when the time comes, I fully intend to do as suggested by you and others - work the 4 weeks notice and inform school of intentions.

12. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

kibosh, is this a temp supply job, or have they promised permanency?
    I'm full time but not permanent, no contract, and no idea how long the job will last. If I'm offered a job, whether permanent or temporary, with some definite timescale, I'll be off like a shot (maybe finish the week if the new contract allows). No way will I be hanging about when there's a better offer on the table.
    A verbal agreement is useless unless it works both ways. I've had promises of long term work, only to find out otherwise, once I was in the job.

13. A teacher I worked with was full-time in a class from almost the beginning of the year. But she came to it through supply and they didn't put her on a contract instead she was filling out timesheets. She got another job and left with only 2 days notice. I was surprised by it but there was nothing they could do. Out of the long-term supply I've done 2 out of 3 have been with contracts. So much easier than filling out the timesheet!