1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how much notice needs to be given on leaving temporary contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by haj, Feb 17, 2010.

1. haj

haj

Hi

I am enquiring as I am covering a maternity leave contract which is till the post holder returns, I am wondering how much notice would I need to give if I wanted to leave eg, if I wanted to leave in September, when should I have given my notice by?

thanks

2. The notice period should be given on your contract. Normally, you resign by 31st May to leave on 31st August, but temporary contracts can be ended with as little as a week's notice.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

As Ruby says, your contract may offer a shorter-than-usual notice period.
    However, if you have already made the decision, I'm certain that your school would prefer to know sooner rather than later - and by 31st May if at all possible.

4. haj

haj

thanks for the information.I think I will not be wanting to leave before october half term, in which case when should I give them notice by? I have not had my contract yet therefore, I will obviously be checking to see exactly what it says about this situation. Thanks

5. haj

haj

sorry I meant I will want to leave at the October half term,so what notice should I be giving?

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

When I did a maternity cover the school ended my contract with less than a week's notice.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That's rather unusual, but you can't always expect much more. The Burgundy Book states that returning teachers need give only 21 days notice of their intention to return to work, so cover teachers could get slightly less than that to terminate their contract.

As for resigning at half term: if your contract stipulates usual terms (i.e. the terms of the Burgundy Book), then you won't have the right to give notice for October half term, because teachers are bound to give notice only to leave at the end of a term. Any departure at any other time has to be agreed directly with the Headteacher/Governors.
    If, of course, your contract allows a shorter notice period, then you are bound only by that.

8. haj

haj

9. Hi,
    I am currently covering a maternity position, this position however is only tempory and is based upon return of the already employed teacher. I have an interview within the next 2 weeks at a different school and need to know how much notice i would need to give. The position i am going to be interviewed for is to start after the Easter holidays - is 6 weeks notice enough? or does it need to be a full term? Or in fact, only 21 days as this is all i will have when the teacher wishes to return? Please help!

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Check your contract.

11. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Kat-I am on a mat contract. It states in my contract that I am bound to the normal teacher notice periods so I have to give notice by 28 Feb to leave in April.
    My friend is on a mat contract but hers only states 2 weeks.
    My point is it really does depend on your contract but I would imagine if they have to give you 21 days then it will be the same for you but not definitely. Your contract should say.