1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much notice do I need to give HT if I want to strike?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Msz, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You don't need to give any notice

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So are you saying that if you are getting a day at home anyway, you won't bother to strike? But if you have to go in to school you will?
    I'm not sure this is quite the point of strike action.

If you really don't feel strongly enough about making a stand then you shouldn't strike, whatever the timetable.

As for telling your HT, I don't think you are legally obliged to do so. However it would be a courtesy to them and to the parents if you do so as soon as possible. If half the staff simply don't arrive on Thursday, staff who are there will end up supervising way too many children while parents are phoned to come in and collect children. This is not fair on your non-striking colleagues or on the parents and children.

3. We do want to give notice but were interested to see whether the proposed strike action would affect how next weeks timetable was put together. I think we are all in favour of striking, but are concerned about what parents will be told. When we striked previously, a letter was sent out to just classes affected but there was a dispute between SMT as one large class has two teachers, and they were planning on not naming the striking teacher in that class as the other teacher would have reponsibility for them. We just want to make sure that we are all treated fairly. We want to strike for what we believe in, but we don't want a distorted picture being sent to the parents.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you want to strike then strike. If you aren't that fussed then don't.

If the image of you as teachers in the minds of parents is more important than the issue of pension changes then don't strike.

5. It's not a case of 'not being fussed' as you phrased it. We feel strongly about the proposed changes to our pensions but we are also concerned about how the strike day will be planned for in our school and that some teachers will miss out on their owed time out, if as we suspect, the leadership decide to plan that time for several NUT members on Thurs. It will mean losing a days pay (which we are prepared to do to support the cause) but it may also mean loss of PPA time and report writing time, meaning that the staff concerned will still have to do all of that work in their own time and the leadership can presumably cover those classes. So it is not quite as clear cut as you seem to think.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It seems incredibly clear cut to me.

"I want to strike, but not if I lose PPA time or report writing time." What is more important? Report writing time this week or a better pension deal? Easy decision, surely?

In many schools people don't get report writing time at all and there is another thread on here about asking for PPA time back after striking.

You know what, it might not be totally fair if some people get PPA and some don't. But life isn't always!

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

[​IMG]

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The NAHT advice re PPAWhat should I do about PPA time for those teachers who are on strike?

The general advice is that PPA should not be rescheduled as teachers who take industrial action will have technically forfeited the right to access PPA on that particular day. However, without setting precedents for the future, it may be that schools will be able to reschedule it at some future date, particularly if there is a culture within a school to be flexible when teachers who are absent for other reasons. The rescheduling of PPA time will be a particular issue if the action continues into the autumn term.

9. PPA is always on a Thurs, so just unlucky with that and quite prepared to forfeit it for the cause. Will just feel annoyed if Report Writing time is deliberately timetabled for Thurs for NUT members of staff. PPA is usually covered by a NASWT teacher so this will go ahead as normal but what happens to report writing time? Who can cover classes of NUT members for this purpose?

10. I am forfeiting my PPA time on strike day. I won't be asking for it back, but even if I did, union advice is that Heads don't have to give it back.

11. The reputation of teachers is often low due to people thinking we work 9-3 and have long holidays etc but if they read these posts about people deciding on whether to strike based on whether someone will put their report writing day or ppa on a strike day then it would be another nail. Im not being treated fairly compared to others on team etc it doesnt come over as adult professionals making a stand for thier pension rights at all.
    As already said many schools dont have report writing time.
    for those worrying about how parents perceive this the biggest issue is childcare and for that the advance notice a school gives is best so those not making decisions till late are the ones who will cause most unrest amongst parents.