1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much non contact time does your DHT have?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blueskies31, Feb 14, 2016.

1. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

I'm looking for another DHT post after leaving my previous role to gain valuable experience in another field of education. I've seen a role advertised locally but it's a 4 day a week Y2 teaching role. I'm concerned about only having half a day a week to carry out the leadership role and I just wondered what your thoughts/experiences are. The school is a one form entry primary.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

DHT has a full time teaching commitment and gets half day for management time in addition to their PPA so in effect DHT teaches for days a week. We are a one form entry primary and so cannot afford a non reaching deputy.

This is, I suspect, the case in many Primary Schools.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have half a day release time and also spend my PPA time on management issues in order to try and keep on top of things!

4. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

I get one whole day and one afternoon, as well as another afternoon for PPA time. This is because we share a Headteacher with another local primary school so I am technically in charge for half the week. When we had a full-time Headteacher I had one afternoon for leadership time and one afternoon for PPA. I think leadership time varies greatly between schools - even those of similar size.

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Small school - 83 pupils, no deputy. I also teach 2 days a week!

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

39 on roll, head of school, teach 5 mornings a week. All the same jobs need doing that need doing in larger school. Exec Head in for half day each fortnight.

I think non contact is very much up to the school, and varies hugely. A friend of mine left her school because rather than being deputy with half day PPA and half day leadership, she could go to a larger school, be assistant head with only 2 days teaching commitment and none of the stress of stepping into the bosses shoes when she was out! She's still there and loving it!!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm starting a new post after Easter as head of school with just under 300 children, teaching 5 mornings. I'm not sure how often the executive head will be in, I suppose it depends on how good a job I do! Non contact time does seem to vary enormously in primary schools, I wonder if it is the same in secondary?

8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

DH has 1/2 a day management time and 1/2 day PPA. It's not enough as I am off site half the week.

9. spmills

spmills New commenter

DHT in a one-form entry.
    Teaching 0.5 (every morning) and have every afternoon for management. However, am first point of contact for cover if others are absent, and do intervention/booster groups.
    I suppose it depends on what responsibilities you have as DHT and how much your HT wants to invest in your role.
    I have an amazing Head who values my time and understands how much needs to be done with each area I am responsible for.

10. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

Our HT and DHT never teach... They just observe.

Never. teach.