1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much more for masters? Salary negotiation!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by thekrakensmith, Sep 23, 2019.

1. thekrakensmith

thekrakensmith New commenter

Hi,

I currently work in China, and I'm happy here. I'm also currently working on my masters in education. I am currently paid a decently high amount compared to colleagues, despite being an NQT when hired spring last year, I'm paid in line with a cohort lead (which I can only assume was a mistake). However, we're now talking contract renewal.

I'm worried that I don't have a leg to stand on with regards to my salary being increased with my new contract, given that it's so high anyways, but I'd still like to try. I will have my masters when my new contract starts, and I don't know what would be normal to request as a raise. I currently take home about 24,000 RMB after tax, if anyone has any suggestions for salary negotiation, or where I even start looking for an increase, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

No idea specifically about china, but all the other schools i have worked in have paid between $2000 to $4000 a year extra for a masters. If your school doesnt already have this set out in a published pay scale then you arent in a decent school. Any decent school would be up front about all of this and no "negotiation would have to happen

3. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

A good school will pay for your ability, not your education. I have met plenty of people with MAs / MSc or even PhD, who are were not particularly good teachers.

colacao17 likes this.
  4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Most schools have a clear salary scale that would in normal circumstances specify exactly what should happen.
    However, you aren’t in a normal circumstance. If you’re already getting a much higher salary than the scale indicates, you might not get a raise at all.
    Perhaps a clearer way to look at it is to say that you got your raise long back, and aren’t due for another until your salary hits the right point on the scale.
    Kudos to your school for doing the right thing before and not trying to fix their mistake at your expense. Still, you can’t expect them to throw even more money at you. You’ve been paid the masters bump already. Congratulations.

It’s possible that your school might offer a small raise just to be nice.

5. I know this is an old post but wanted to chime in with some resources - I'm negotiating right now and I found these helpful for academic salaries. I looked through a ton of the posts on here and only found a few on negotiation with this being the most recent one so I'm adding this here in case someone like me is looking:
    https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/06/yes-you-can-and-should-negotiate-academic-job-offers
    https://hbr.org/2017/04/how-to-evaluate-accept-reject-or-negotiate-a-job-offer
    https://candor.co/salary-negotiation/how_to_accept_job_offer

new career likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I would like to repeat the point made by my old friend, gulfgolf, namely that schools ought to have a clear salary structure. Therefore there really is no room for "negotiation". If a school is indeed open to wheedling, pressure, persuasion etc., then it is a very strong indication that this is not a good school to work for. (I would also like to re-iterate the point that has been made many, many times by this smelly old hippo, namely that your salary is only part of the overall "package". There some other things to look at, not just the numbers.)

If schools cave in to such tactics from their teachers, then what is going to happen when a dissatisfied parent comes along?

7. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Just out of curiosity do you know if schools generally offer extra for 2 relevant master's degrees on the payscale or would it rather be extra for one and no more for another? I have been considering returning to the UK to do a second MA, in education, but wonder if it's worth it.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i know a couple of schools that do. they tend to be American schools though from my experience.

kpjf likes this.
  9. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

My school put me on an MA+30 scale fro my MA and my PGCE. But that was many, many years ago...

10. kpjf

Thanks for the info Dumbbells.

Thanks Mike. I take it this was in the UK? My question was rather if I have 2 MAs (relevant ones) would I probably go up two places or just one on the salary scale, so I don't know in the context of +30 scale what that means.

11. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It's an American school in Madrid and the scale was for people who'd completed their MA and were about halfway to their PhD.

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Your PhD? How interesting, Dr Fagin.

13. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

There are some non-American schools that offer a higher salary for teachers with MA/ PhD. As dumbbells66 states, it is usually in the region of 2k - 4k USD.

14. kpjf

And how about more for the second one?

15. theintlteacher

Same scale for MA/ PhD.

16. kpjf

Sorry don't understand what you mean. Do you mean it's the same scale regardless if it's 1 or 2 master's degrees?

17. theintlteacher

Apologies. Yes. Same for one, tow or three Masters degrees.

18. kpjf

Ok, thanks theintlteacher.

19. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Personally, I wouldn't give you a penny more for a masters qualification. To me it is almost a personal development thing, which for some reason opens doors for management positions.

In Indonesia, all principals/head teachers need to have one. Those who didn't when the new visa requirement rule came in about 4 years ago did not get their contracts renewed. Of course, it prevents many good people with the appropriate management skills doing the job and allows others without those skills an option to get those positions.

A work colleague was doing a masters purely for the opportunity to earn more money, as that was her primary focus in life. I was asked to proof read her latest assignment and it was poorly organised, and incomprehensible in parts with poor English language choices. Read like a load of points had been randomly pulled of different sources from the internet and chucked in a document without editing. Another colleague, who did a masters for all the right reasons and for whom I had high regard, was messed about by her unprofessional mentors who repeatedly changed, and seem rather disappointed in the whole experience which hadn't really provided the personal challenges she had sought.

My conclusion was you pay your money and buy your new qualification, which has changed very little from when I worked in a University academic department. It ran yearly masters courses and enrolled a good number of overseas students. It was widely accepted, the quality of work was poor and especially the level of English, but they paid their money and got their qualification, which was highly valued back home.

20. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I have two Masters degrees, one is an MEd and the other an MA in Special and Inclusive Education, which incorporates the NASENCO as well. I don't expect to be paid more as a result, my pay is linked to my experience and level of responsibility.

24hours likes this.