1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much money is good for Oman?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ian60, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I've sent you a PM

2. I have been trying to look into wages in Oman recently also as I have had an offer at a school there. Haven't seen the contract yet but I am getting slightly less (though I will be going on my own). I am hoping to live reasonably well and save while living there.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am not an expert on Oman, as I have never worked there, but I have had one or two colleagues who have. On the whole salaries tend to be a bit lower than in places like Saudi or the UAE. Prices also can be a bit higher. Petrol, for example. The good news is that Oman is a lovely place and I have only been there five times, so I want to go back there asap. The Omanis are "the gentlefolk of the Gulf" and a lot nice than certain locals we could mention...

4. Check into your medical and your school very carefully. The salary you have quoted is not from a top-tier school, so have you researched it thoroughly? There are some stinkers in Oman.
    Oman is expensive and I think that you wouldn't have the lifestyle you'd want, supporting a family on that. Yes, it's doable, but you'd have to make some sacrifices, either in savings or going without certain opportunities.
    Also, most schools that pay around that figure tend to be for locals. Would your child cope in a 100% Arabic-speaking playground? What arrangements will be made for your child when the other kids are in Arabic or Islamic lessons?

5. What a wonderful opportunity to learn Arabic! My son coped very well in a 100% English-speaking, 'parochial' playground at 9 and so do the migrant chn in our 'Christian' centre here in a small country town. Children are very resilient, more so than their parents. Well, that's my experience.

6. I've done some research, school sounds solid. School fees paid for an expat school. I don't want to just 'get by' so I don't think it's going to be enough